Chapter 13

Chapter 13

I turn around to the clattering of the plates and spoon, only to find Brian taking them out from the cabinets. When he saw me facing him, he said, "It's not good to wonder around the house unless the owner shows you the house himself," with a smirk.

I frown. "When did you get there?" I say as I clearly remember that the door I was standing in front of was just below the staircase and I would have noticed if he was getting down from the stairs.

"Just few minutes back. It's surprising the way you stay lost in your thoughts," he says now placing the plates and glasses on the dining table.

I take a last look towards the door before making my way to the dining room. The aroma of the smell of the food fills my nose as I take a seat. There was chicken with vegetables, some boiled beans, white rice, some type of sauce and salad served on the plate. Brian smiles at me before opening the bottle of champagne and pouring it on our glasses.

"I couldn't find Moet but I guess Lanson would work. It's my second favourite," he says and I smile back.

"Did you cook all of this?" I ask picking up my spoon and digging it in the rice.

"Why do you ask so? Does it look unbelievable that I couldn't?" he says as he starts eating as well.

"Sort of. This is really good," I say as the food melts in my mouth. I've never tasted anything much better than this.

"The sauce is my special secret," he winks.

"Whatever it is, it's damn good. I can eat this all day."

We continue to eat in silence for a while when my thoughts return to the door. I am sure I heard something inside and I couldn't help but wonder what was in there.

"Brian?"

"Mhm?"

"I wanted to ask... um, what's in that room?" I ask hesitantly.

"That's my red room; you know where I develop my films," he says continuing his meal.

"But I think I heard something, more like someone," I say frowning.

"I probably left my machine on," he says casually. "You don't think I've got an intruder or something, do you?

"No, nothing like that," I say chewing my lips. When he doesn't say anything else, I continue with my food.

"So, how's everything?" Brian says after a moment. "I was wondering why haven't you got your little girl along."

"Oh, my friend is staying over at my place so to keep her companied I left Sara home," I reply casually.

"I see. How's your husband?"

"He's good," is all I say because I really have no idea how he was. I wanted to tell Brian how weird William was being recently and I wanted to tell him all about Angela but I don't think this is the right time to tell him.

"So, did that prank star whom you've told me about called more?" he asks and drinks from his glass.

Yes, this morning. I was in a dilemma whether I should blurt out the truth or not when Olivia's words run through my head:

You gotta be careful with whom you communicate and what you talk about. Some things are meant to remain within the circle.