Chapter 15

I started feeling claustrophobic being in the waiting room. Even though there was a window and a door, which apparently won't stay open, the whiteness of the room started to make me feel sick. Why is there even a waiting room? It's not like we're waiting for our turn to meet Keith.

Sara was sitting on William's lap, playing with her doll. She got Keith's favourite ball along with her so that she could give it to him in order to make him feel happy. Such a sweetheart. Olivia was sat on the bench which was on the left side of me. She kept staring at her heels anxiously, god knows thinking what. We haven't decided anything on how we're going to get into William's office without him knowing anything about our whereabouts. On the other hand, I haven't got the chance to steal his keycard as well and without that, there's no way I can get access to his room.

I was distracted from my thoughts when a nurse walked in. "You are here to meet Keith Graves right?" she asks, her voice simple and sweet. "Yes," William answers as we all get to our feet.

"Alright, follow me please."

We all follow her to the elevator which wasn't very big and presses '5'. The elevator stops on the 2nd floor and a big, fat man enters who says he too has to go to the 5th floor. We were all forced to be squashed against each other and I felt like I was about to drown. When we reached the 5th floor, I felt like I've reached heaven and take in the fresh air, stepping out of the elevator.

The colour of the walls of this floor was pale green and was so much better than eye-blinding white. We walk into a corridor full of doors on either side until she stops in front of room 409. Opening it, she says, "Keith, dear your family is here to meet you," and moves from the way for us to get in.

Keith's room wasn't very big and was a shade of pale yellow with white tiles. He sat on a bed which was in the corner of the room with a small window beside him. A small bag of saline was connected to his hand with the help of needles. Even though the nurse called him out, he showed no response and continued to stare out of the window.

Keith looked a lot different from the last time I met him. His brown, curly hair which used to be full of volume grew a bit longer and seemed dull. He lost much of his weight and looked very pale. My eyes tear up with the look of his appearance. How could I leave my child in such a situation where all he gets to do is watch whatever is out there through that small window?

Sara runs to Keith, getting up on the bed and sitting beside him. She takes his hand and places the ball saying, "Here Keith, I brought you something to play with."

Surprisingly, he slowly turns his hand towards Sara and then looks at the ball. Then in a low voice he says, "Thank you little sister."

Hearing his voice makes my heart sink. There was no emotion in his voice; it was like a corpse was speaking. I make my way towards the bed and sit beside him while Olivia and William stand a little far. The room was so small that we had difficult moving around.

I run my hand through his hand hair when he looks at me. His green eyes which used to be full of light and joy now looked nothing but empty. There was so much hurt hidden behind his eyes that I wish I never came here to witness this. My heart was in such pain that words couldn't explain.

"Mom," he says softly, making tear run down my face. "Why did you leave me here?"

I close my eyes and swallow his words. I wish I didn't leave him here and dealt with whatever I had to deal with. At least I wouldn't have put him through so much pain.