Chapter 20

"You know Rachelle," Olivia says after a moment as we all sit in our living room, trying to have a normal discussion. George came back just after I read my little note from my so called friend and had all the explanation he needed given to him by William.

"I think Brian really does want you to find out something, or else why a person would be so eager for you to go back to your homeland?"

"Because he's a psycho!" Angela exclaims. "Don't you understand? He just wants to mess around with our minds and make us paranoid."

"I understand that part but of course he might have a motive. He could have chosen anyway in New York city to fool around with; why only Rachelle? Obviously, it means he needs Rachelle to know something," Olivia says concerned.

"There's nothing that Rachelle needs to know," William says coldly. "We just need to move on with our life and try to ignore everything Brian does. That's the best for our family and friends."

"I think we saw what he is capable of," Olivia replied to William. "I think he will always find a way to get back our attention if we decide to ignore him."

"Enough!" I yell out being frustrated and everyone looks at me in wary. "I think we all have been through plenty of things for a day. Angela, you need to rest so why don't you head home and we can meet up for lunch tomorrow?"

"Yeah, I guess you're right," she says, holding George's hand who smiles at her and stays silent. He didn't participate much in the discussion but then again, I'd just assume him to be lost.

****

It's was 3 in the morning and I laid on my back, staring at the ceiling. Not a hint of sleep was around me and my mind bursting with various thoughts. Olivia made it seem pretty clear that there was something that Brian wanted me to find out and I, sure as hell was eager to know that but then I can't just forget what he did to Angela.

Angela's words made points as well, that Brian could be a psycho and was just on a mission to make my life miserable; but why? Was it because he couldn't live happily with a perfect family and couldn't handle seeing anyone else living in peace? I didn't know. A part of me wished that I listened to what he had to say when I was escaping with Angela but the sane part of me mentally slapped myself for that. He held my best friend hostage for days, I just couldn't ignore that fact.

I feel like my head would explode any minute if I didn't stop. I slowly get up from the bed, aware of not waking up William and make my way downstairs with my phone. Last time I was about to call Stephen, I was interrupted by Olivia but tonight, I had to do it. I needed answers in which he could help me; answers of the past.

It was eight in the morning in Scotland; a perfect time to call him as it was the time he might be at work, away from his family. I select his number from the phonebook and taking a deep breath, I press call.

After a few rings, he answers. "Rache! Oh, my, holy, god! You finally took some time out of your perfect life and remembered me."

"Hey," I say with a weak smile forming on my lips; his voice sends the calming sensation through my body. "How have you been?"

"So far, kind of busy with work. I think I'm going to get a promotion soon," he says chuckling. "How about you?"

I remain silent before saying, "I don't know."

"Isn't it 3 in the morning over there? Why are you up at this time of the night?" he asks, worried.

"I've some questions but before that, I've to tell you all about what's going on," I say and take a deep breath.