Chapter 14

It was 3 am and my sleep was nowhere near me. I felt extremely frustrated and I could use some sleep but my brain just wouldn't let me do that. After the argument, Olivia and Sara came back and we all ate our dinner in silence. I didn't have a chance to tell Olivia about the finger or anything that happened back at Brian's place but I got to tell her soon. Keeping everything to myself wasn't really helping at all.

I shift in my position once again, turning towards William now. He was sound asleep and I watched him as he drew shallow breath. What happened? I kept asking myself again and again. 2 years of being in a relationship and 13 years of marriage, we've always put up with each other and not once, he raised his voice at me but why now? What was happening to my perfect life? Was moving to New York the biggest mistake of my life?

I sigh and sit up, bringing my knees to my chest. I hug my legs and close my eyes as a drop of tear falls down my cheek. I turn my head towards William once again. I think he was stressed out as well and he poured out his anger on me. I told myself that I should understand him but another part of me questioned him. He was hiding something from me and that part infuriated me to the core. Ignoring that part, I lean towards him and carefully place a kiss on his cheeks with no intention of waking him up.

I walk out of the bedroom with my phone. I felt like talking to Stephen for some reason. We rarely spoke but when we did, it was always made me feel better. Stephen was 8 years older to me but yet, the bond we shared was very strong. He married when he was 25 but the marriage lasted only for three years as his wife ended up cheating on him. Stephen was heartbroken as he loved that girl with all his heart but who knew there was a devil inside that girl. I hate her with everything in me for making my brother feel miserable.

Stephen is 43 now, and lived in Scotland with his new wife. It's isn't very long since he re-married; just five years ago. Stephen told me he wouldn't ever fall in love again and managed to do so for only 10 years until this girl came along. He told me that they worked in the same place and she was a really friendly person. She also had a similar heart breaking story like his and they understood each other well. Stephen now is the father of a son and as far as I know, they weren't planning on having any more children.

I drop myself on the couch, scrolling through my phonebook for Stephen's number. Just as I am about to press the call button, someone else drops their self beside me.

"Geez, Olivia, you scared me," I say irritated.

"Ops," she says raising her eyebrows that make her look funny.

"What woke you up?" I ask lazily.

"Who said I have been sleeping?" she says in the same tone.

"Well then what kept you up?"

"Thoughts."

I look at her frowning then turn towards my phone. I stare at Stephen's number for a while then close my phone.

"About to call your mom?" Olivia asks eyeing my phone.

"Stephen," I say simply.

"Go ahead then," she says and gets to her feet. "I'll have a snack."

"Nah, that can wait. I'll join you," I say following her to the kitchen. She turns on the lights and grabs a packet of chips from the cabinet while I take out two bottles of beer from the fridge.

We make our way back to the living, plopping ourselves on the couch once again. "Well, when are you going to tell what happened when you were at Brian's and why was the air thick during dinner?" Olivia asks opening the chips packet.