Chapter 14

On his way home, Rudraksh’s irritation grew as he scrolled through endless options on Google for gifts. Each suggestion seemed less suitable than the last, leaving him increasingly frustrated.

He glanced at his driver and, after clearing his throat, asked, “Do you have kids? If so, what do you usually get them when they’re upset?”

The driver hesitated before responding. “Sir... children are innocent. They often find joy in the smallest things. Every child is different, but they all generally like toys. I have three of my own—two boys and a girl.”

Rudraksh raised an eyebrow, curious. “What does your little girl prefer?”

The driver’s face softened as he spoke about his daughter. “She’s crazy about soft toys and dolls.”

Rudraksh’s eyes narrowed with determination. “Make a stop at a toy store now!”

The driver hesitated. “Sir, it’s quite late, and finding a store open might be challenging.”

Rudraksh smirked, his confidence unwavering. “Nothing is impossible for Rudraksh Oberoi. Even if it’s the end of the world, I will get everything my daughter wants.”

As the car veered towards the toy store, Rudraksh’s mind was already focused on finding the perfect gift for Roohi, determined to make up for the time he had been away and to ensure her happiness.
......................................................................

Rudraksh’s car pulled up to a small, dimly lit toy store near his penthouse. He stepped out with a commanding presence, and his men quickly moved into action. They approached the shop, and Rudraksh's stern voice cut through the quiet night.

“Bring the owner here. If he wants to live, he’ll open the shop immediately.”

Within fifteen seconds, the shop owner was brought before him, visibly shaken. The store's door was unlocked, and Rudraksh entered, his gaze scanning the shelves with a mix of urgency and determination.

Rudraksh’s men, stationed at the entrance, ensured that the owner complied without delay. Rudraksh began selecting toys with precision, focusing on soft toys and dolls, determined to find the perfect gifts for Roohi. He selected a few large, soft teddy bears and a colorful dollhouse set, ensuring they were of the highest quality.

His decision was swift and decisive, reflecting his intent to make a meaningful gesture despite the late hour.

With the toys securely packed, Rudraksh handed them to his men. “Get these to the penthouse immediately. And ensure the owner is well-compensated for his trouble.”

As he left the store, he cast one last glance at the toys, his expression softening momentarily. He hoped these gifts would bring Roohi the comfort and joy she needed, despite the challenges they faced.
......................................................................

As Rudraksh entered the penthouse, he spotted Roohi on the sofa, her eyes red from crying, a few tears still streaking her cheeks. The maid was sitting beside her, clearly struggling to comfort the distressed child. Rudraksh's heart ached at the sight, and he called out gently to Roohi.

“Roohi.”

Hearing his voice, Roohi’s tear-streaked face lit up with a glimmer of hope. She scrambled off the sofa and ran toward him with outstretched arms. Without hesitation, Rudraksh scooped her up into a warm embrace. For the first time in years, a deep sense of peace washed over him. He gently rubbed her back, whispering soothing words as he wiped her tears away.

He carried her back to the sofa, settling down with her in his lap. His gaze was soft as he looked at her, the hardened edges of his demeanor melting away. “Dada is sorry for being late, Princess,” he said, his voice tender. “I got caught up with work, but I’m here now.”

Roohi clung to him, her small voice quivering. “Papa, I got scared. I hope you’re not hurt. I missed you so much.”

Rudraksh’s eyes softened further at her words. He gently brushed her hair aside and hugged her closer, feeling a profound connection he hadn’t expected.

Her concern for him, something he hadn't felt since his mother's death, stirred emotions he had long buried.

He gently kissed Roohi’s forehead as he looked at her, his eyes reflecting a mix of affection and concern. “Have you eaten your dinner?” he asked softly.

Roohi looked down, her silence speaking volumes. Rudraksh's gaze shifted to the maid, who stood nearby, looking apologetic.

"Why hasn’t she eaten yet?" Rudraksh asked, his voice firm but caring.

The maid stepped forward, her voice trembling slightly. "I’m sorry, sir. I was trying to calm her, but she refused to eat. I didn’t want to force her."

Rudraksh’s expression softened. “Bring her dinner now,” he instructed. “And make sure it’s something she likes.”

As the maid hurried off to prepare the meal, Rudraksh continued to hold Roohi and scolded Roohi. “Skipping meals is not good, beta. I know you were worried about Papa, but you need to eat your food, baby.”

Roohi looked up at him with tearful eyes and nodded. “Sorry, Papa. Roohi will not skip her meals.”

Rudraksh gave a reassuring nod and turned to his men. “Place the toys on the center table,” he instructed.

As the toys were carefully arranged on the table, Rudraksh's gaze shifted back to Roohi. Her eyes widened with curiosity and hope as she spotted the colorful toys.

Once the toys were set up, Rudraksh sat beside Roohi on the sofa, taking her small hand in his. “Look at what I got for you,” he said, his voice softening as he pointed to the toys. “I hope these make you happy.”

Roohi’s eyes sparkled as she looked at the toys, her earlier sadness momentarily forgotten. She picked up a soft toy, hugging it tightly. Her smile was small but genuine, and Rudraksh felt a wave of relief wash over him.

As the maid returned with a plate of food, Rudraksh continued to comfort Roohi, feeling the weight of his new role as a father but also a deep sense of responsibility and love.
.....................................................................

After dinner, Rudraksh gently tucked Roohi into bed in the guest room. He sat beside her until she fell asleep, his hand resting lightly on her small shoulder. As he watched her sleep peacefully, he took a moment to survey the room.

The guest room, though comfortable, was clearly not suited for a child of Roohi’s age. It lacked the warmth and vibrant energy that a little girl would need. The walls were plain, and the furnishings were more suitable for adults than for a child.

Rudraksh’s resolve hardened as he made up his mind. Roohi deserved a space that was not only safe and comfortable but also tailored to her interests and needs. He decided to redecorate and design a room specifically for her—a space that would be colorful, playful, and filled with things that would make her feel at home.

He envisioned bright walls adorned with playful patterns, a cosy bed with fun bedding, and shelves filled with toys and books. He wanted to create a room where she could play, learn, and feel secure.

Determined to make it happen, Rudraksh made a mental checklist of everything he needed to do. He would consult with an interior designer to get ideas and ensure the room was both beautiful and functional. His goal was clear: to transform the guest room into a haven that Roohi would love and cherish, a true reflection of his commitment to her well-being and happiness.