Chapter - 44

Rudraksh picked Roohi up from school, noticing the sadness in her expression. As they drove home, he asked gently, “How was school today, Roohi?”

“It was fine…” Roohi replied, her voice lacking its usual cheerfulness.

Rudraksh’s concern deepened. “What’s wrong, baby? Did something happen? Did someone bully you?”

Roohi, still looking away, answered in a small voice, "No, papa. Nothing happened."

Rudraksh's concern deepened as they reached home. He parked the car and turned to Roohi, noticing her avoiding his gaze and looking out of the window with a distant expression.

Rudraksh sighed, feeling helpless. He continued gently, "You know you can tell me anything, right? I’m here for you, always."

Roohi remained silent for a moment before saying quietly, "I just want to be alone right now." She opened the car door and quickly got out, rushing into the house.

He stood by the car, muttering to himself, “What the heck? Did I do something to upset her? Is this what Abhay meant about growing up?”

Rudraksh watched her go, bewildered and worried. "What the heck?" he muttered under his breath, stepping out of the car. "Is this what Abhay meant about her growing up?" He could feel his heart tighten, wanting to understand but unsure of what to do next.

Rudraksh entered the house, his heart heavy with concern. He walked directly to Roohi's room, pausing outside her door. With a gentle knock, he called it softly, "Roohi, it's papa. Can I come in, please?"

There was a moment of silence, and then Roohi's quiet voice came from the other side of the door, "I'm fine, papa. I just want to be alone right now."

Rudraksh frowned, his worry deepening. "Baby, please talk to me. I can’t help if I don’t know what’s wrong." His voice was filled with both concern and a hint of desperation.

There was another pause before Roohi responded, her voice slightly shaky, "I... I just need some time, papa. Please."

Rudraksh sighed softly, understanding that pushing her now might make things worse. "Alright, sweetheart. I’m here if you need me, okay? I’ll be just outside."

He lingered for a moment, his hand still resting on the door, hoping she might change her mind. But when no further response came, he reluctantly turned to leave, he heard the soft creak of the door opening behind him. He stopped in his tracks and slowly turned back around.

Roohi stood in the doorway, her eyes downcast and her small hands fidgeting with the hem of her shirt. Her face was a mix of hesitation and vulnerability. "Papa," she whispered, her voice barely audible.

Rudraksh immediately softened, his heart aching at the sight of her. He picked her up in his arms, his expression gentle and reassuring. "Yes, baby?" he asked softly as they made their way into her room. He gently placed her on her bed and sat beside her.

His eyes fell on a photo of Roshni on the bedside table, and he understood that Roohi might be missing her mother. But this was the first time she had reacted so strongly.

Rudraksh sat down beside her, his tone gentle. “You know you can talk to me about anything, right?”

Tears welled up in Roohi's eyes as she looked up at him, her lower lip quivering. "Tomorrow is Mother's Day at school," she said, her voice breaking. "And... I don't have a mom to bring. I wish she was with us."

Rudraksh reached out, pulling her into a comforting hug. "Oh, sweetheart," he murmured, stroking her hair gently. "I also wish she were with us... If only she had told me about you sooner, things could have been different."

He paused, his voice filled with a mixture of sadness and longing. "I wish she could see how wonderful you are, how much you've grown, and how much love you bring into this world."

Roohi sniffled, looking up at him with teary eyes. "Do you think she knows, papa?"

Rudraksh hugged her tighter, feeling her small body relax a little more in his arms. He reached over and picked up Roshni's photo from the bedside table, holding it gently in his hand. "Baby," he said softly, showing her the picture, "mummy is always in our hearts," his eyes lingering on the photo. "She may not be here with us, but she’s watching over you every day. And she’s so proud of you, just like I am."

Roohi nodded, a small smile beginning to form. Rudraksh continued, looking at the photo, "You look just like your mummy—your eyes, your smile, your hair, the way you talk, the way you laugh... it’s all just like her. Always remember she’s looking at you from above, and she loves you very much. And papa loves you more than the universe."

Roohi’s eyes softened, and her smile grew, bright and full. "I love you too, papa," she said, her voice now steady and warm.

Rudraksh kissed her forehead gently. "Tomorrow, I’ll come to the Mother’s Day celebration, and we’ll make a beautiful card together for your mummy. How does that sound?"

Roohi nodded eagerly, her spirits lifted. "That sounds perfect, papa."

Rudraksh smiled, feeling a weight lift from his heart. “Good. After school, we’ll have her favorite ice cream and watch a movie together.”

Roohi hugged him tightly, and Rudraksh felt a deep sense of peace, knowing that together, they could face anything. They stayed like that for a while, drawing comfort from each other's presence, ready to move forward with a renewed sense of hope and connection.