Chapter-21

The school bell rang, signaling the end of the day, and Rudraksh stood by his car, waiting for Roohi. His thoughts were still on the conversation he had with his PR team earlier in the day. The event was set in motion, and soon the world would know the truth about Roohi. But first, he needed to talk to her about it, in a way that she would understand.

As the school doors opened, children began spilling out, their voices filling the air with excitement and chatter. Rudraksh scanned the crowd until he spotted Roohi, her floral dress standing out among the uniforms. She was walking with a small group of girls, her new friends, it seemed. Her face lit up when she saw him, and she broke into a run, her backpack bouncing on her shoulders.

“Papa!” Roohi exclaimed, throwing her arms around his waist.

Rudraksh smiled, kneeling down to her level. “How was your day, princess?”

“It was so much fun! We did art, and I made a drawing of you and me!” She pulled out a crumpled piece of paper from her backpack and showed it to him. The drawing was simple, but it was filled with bright colors—a man and a little girl holding hands, with a big sun shining above them.

“It’s beautiful, Roohi,” Rudraksh said, feeling a warmth spread in his chest. He carefully folded the drawing and put it in his pocket. “You’ll have to show me where to hang it when we get home.”

Roohi nodded eagerly. As they walked to the car, Rudraksh took a deep breath, ready to broach the topic of the event. “Roohi, there’s something I need to talk to you about.”

Roohi looked up at him with wide eyes. “What is it, Papa?”

“Do you remember when we talked about how I have a job where lots of people know who I am?” Rudraksh began gently. “Well, sometimes those people want to know about my family too. And since you’re my daughter, they’re curious about you.”

Roohi frowned slightly, trying to understand. “Why do they want to know about me?”

“Because you’re very important to me,” Rudraksh said, choosing his words carefully. “I want to tell them how special you are, so they stop saying silly things that aren’t true. We’re going to have a special event where I’ll introduce you to everyone. You’ll get to meet some of my friends, and we’ll tell them all about you. But only if you’re okay with it.”

Roohi was quiet for a moment, processing what he had said. “Will it be like a big party?”

Rudraksh smiled. “Something like that. But there will be lots of people, and some of them might ask questions. If you ever feel uncomfortable, you can stay by my side, and I’ll take care of everything.”

Roohi thought about it for a few seconds before nodding. “Okay, Papa. I want to help you. But... can I wear my new dress?”

Rudraksh chuckled, feeling a wave of relief. “Of course, you can. You can pick out any dress you want.”

They reached the car, and as Rudraksh helped her into the seat, he felt a sense of pride in how brave Roohi was being. The event would be a big step for both of them, but he knew they would face it together.

As they drove home, Roohi chattered away about her day at school, her worries about the event already fading. Rudraksh listened, half his mind on her stories, and the other half on the upcoming event. It wouldn’t be easy, but with Roohi by his side, he knew they could handle whatever came their way.

......................................................................

The evening was a whirlwind of activity in the Oberoi household. With the official event to introduce Roohi to the world just hours away, Rudraksh was consumed by last-minute preparations. The house was bustling with staff, decorators, and security personnel, all working tirelessly to ensure that everything was flawless.

In the midst of the chaos, Rudraksh paced through the grand foyer, checking off his mental list. He glanced at his watch—time was slipping away faster than he realized. The PR team was coordinating the media, the caterers were finalizing the menu, and the interior design team was adding final touches to the venue.

“Everything’s coming together, Mr. Oberoi,” one of his assistants said as she approached him with a clipboard. “The media is ready, and the security is set. The guest list has been confirmed.”

Rudraksh nodded, his mind still racing through the myriad details. “Good. Make sure the team knows we need to keep the focus on Roohi. No unnecessary distractions.”

“Understood,” the assistant replied, hurrying off to relay the instructions.

Meanwhile, Roohi was tucked away in her room, excitedly preparing for the big day. She was busy trying on the new dress Rudraksh had chosen for her—a beautiful floral dress that made her look like a princess. Her eyes sparkled with anticipation as she twirled in front of the mirror, admiring herself.

Rudraksh peered into her room, a smile tugging at the corners of his lips. “Looking beautiful, princess,” he said softly. “How are you feeling about tomorrow?”

Roohi beamed up at him, her excitement barely contained. “I’m excited, Papa! I can’t wait to meet everyone.”

Rudraksh crouched down beside her, gently brushing a strand of hair from her face. “Remember, tomorrow is a big day. You’ll meet a lot of people, and they’ll want to know all about you. Just be yourself, and everything will be perfect.”

Roohi nodded solemnly, her little face serious. “I will, Papa. And you’ll be with me the whole time, right?”

“Absolutely,” Rudraksh reassured her. “I’ll be right by your side.”

As the evening wore on, Karan and Akshat arrived to lend their support. Karan, in his role as a lawyer, offered final advice on handling any potential legal issues that might arise during the event. Akshat, with his culinary expertise, checked the food arrangements to ensure everything was up to his high standards.

“We’ve got everything covered,” Karan said, reviewing the legal documents one last time. “The contracts are in place, and the media will be briefed properly.”

Akshat, busy inspecting the catering setup, added, “The food will be exceptional. I made sure the menu caters to all tastes.”

Rudraksh sighed with relief. “I couldn’t ask for better friends. Thank you both for being here.”

As the evening drew to a close,Akshat suggested, “How about a break? Let’s go out for some ice cream.”

Roohi’s eyes lit up. “Yes, please!”

They headed out, taking a short walk to a nearby ice cream parlor. The cool London air was refreshing, and the atmosphere felt lighter as they enjoyed their treats. Roohi chatted excitedly, talking about the upcoming event and her new school.

Rudraksh watched her, his heart swelling with a mix of emotions. She was so full of life, so innocent. He was determined to protect that innocence, to give her the best life he could. And he knew that with Karan and Akshat by his side, he wouldn’t have to face the challenges alone.

As they walked back home, Rudraksh felt a renewed sense of purpose. The event was just the beginning—a step towards building a future where Roohi could thrive without the shadow of the past hanging over her. And for that, he would do whatever it took.