CHAPTER-03

---

**Chapter 3: Whispers in the Shadows**

Yashika stood before the Sherawat Group’s towering building once again, the morning sun casting long shadows across the pavement. Her mind buzzed with the events of the past week—the cryptic conversations, the intense gaze of Adrith Singh Shehrawat, and the unsettling atmosphere that clung to every corner of this place. But she pushed those thoughts aside, determined to focus on her mission.

As she stepped inside the sleek, modern lobby, she couldn’t shake the feeling that every pair of eyes was on her, watching her every move. She was the outsider here, a new face in a company full of seasoned players, and she knew that she had to tread carefully.

Her first stop was the archives, located on a lower floor of the building. It was a dimly lit room filled with rows of old file cabinets and dusty shelves, a stark contrast to the pristine, high-tech offices above. Yashika had discovered this place during her orientation, and something about it had drawn her back. She felt that the answers she sought might be hidden among these neglected records.

She slipped into the room quietly, closing the door behind her. The soft hum of the fluorescent lights was the only sound as she began her search, her fingers trailing over the labels on the cabinets. She wasn’t even sure what she was looking for, but she knew she had to start somewhere.

Finally, she found a section labeled “Personnel Files.” Her father’s name, Rajeev Kapoor, was scrawled on one of the folders, and Yashika’s heart skipped a beat as she pulled it out. The file was thick, filled with employment records, performance reviews, and various correspondences.

As she flipped through the pages, a few documents caught her eye. They were financial records, detailing payments made to an account that wasn’t listed under any official company business. The amounts were substantial, far more than her father would have earned in his position. Her brows furrowed as she tried to make sense of it.

Then she noticed something else—a name that appeared in several memos and emails: Vikram Rathore. The tone of the messages was strange, almost secretive, and they mentioned a project called "Operation Aegis." Yashika had never heard of it before, but the name alone sent a chill down her spine.

What was Operation Aegis, and why was her father involved? And who was Vikram Rathore?

Yashika carefully tucked the documents back into the file and replaced it on the shelf, her mind racing. She knew she had stumbled upon something significant, something that might explain why her father had been targeted. But she couldn’t pursue this any further without raising suspicion. She had to be smart about this, gather more information before making any moves.

As she left the archives, Yashika bumped into Meera, her no-nonsense supervisor, who gave her a curious glance. “What are you doing down here, Yashika? Your duties don’t require access to these files.”

Yashika forced a smile, her heart pounding. “Just familiarizing myself with the company’s history. I thought it would help me understand my work better.”

Meera didn’t seem convinced, but she didn’t press the issue. “Just make sure you stay within your responsibilities. We don’t want any mistakes.”

“Yes, ma’am,” Yashika replied, ducking her head and making a quick exit. She could feel Meera’s eyes boring into her back as she walked away, but she couldn’t let herself be rattled. She was too close to the truth now.

* * *

Later that day, Yashika found herself once again in the imposing presence of Adrith Singh Shehrawat. He had called her to his office under the pretext of discussing her progress, but she knew there was more to it than that.

Adrith’s office was a fortress of cold, hard lines—black leather chairs, a sleek glass desk, and walls adorned with abstract art that seemed to mock any attempt to find warmth in the space. Adrith himself sat behind his desk, his fingers steepled as he regarded her with those piercing eyes that missed nothing.

“How are you settling in, Miss Kapoor?” he asked, his voice deceptively soft.

Yashika met his gaze, refusing to be intimidated. “I’m adjusting, sir. It’s a challenging environment, but I’m learning quickly.”

Adrith nodded slowly, as if weighing her words. “That’s good to hear. We have high expectations here, and I believe in giving people the opportunity to prove themselves. However,” he leaned forward slightly, his eyes narrowing, “I must remind you that discretion is key in this line of work. Some matters are not meant for everyone to know.”

Yashika’s heart skipped a beat, but she kept her expression neutral. “Of course, sir. I understand.”

“Do you?” Adrith’s voice was calm, but there was an edge to it. “This company operates on a foundation of trust and loyalty. Those who break that trust often find themselves in unfortunate circumstances.”

Yashika swallowed hard, the warning clear. “I’m here to do my job, sir. Nothing more.”

Adrith studied her for a long moment, and Yashika could almost feel him peeling back the layers of her facade, searching for any sign of deceit. Finally, he leaned back in his chair, the tension in the room easing slightly.

“Good,” he said, his tone more relaxed now. “Remember that.”

With that, he dismissed her, turning his attention to the papers on his desk as if she were no longer of any concern. But Yashika knew better. She had just been given a clear message: stay in line, or face the consequences.

* * *

The rest of the day passed in a blur. Yashika went through the motions of her work, but her mind was elsewhere, replaying her interactions with Adrith and the discoveries she had made in the archives. She knew she was walking a fine line, and one wrong step could bring everything crashing down.

That evening, as she sat in her small apartment, Yashika spread the documents she had copied from her father’s file across the table. The name Vikram Rathore stood out to her, a beacon in the darkness. She had to find out who he was and what role he had played in her father’s death.

But she couldn’t do it alone. She needed an ally, someone who could help her navigate the treacherous waters she was now wading into. And as much as she hated to admit it, the only person who might be able to help her was the one man she was most afraid to trust: Adrith Singh Shehrawat.

Yashika stared at the papers, her resolve hardening. She was in too deep to turn back now. If she wanted justice for her father, she would have to face the shadows head-on, no matter the cost.

---