CHAPTER-18

---

Chapter 18: Into the Lion's Den

The night hung over the Shehrawat estate like an ominous shroud. The darkness that settled outside seemed to seep through the walls of the mansion, filling its opulent corridors with unease. The usually vibrant chandeliers and elaborate wall sconces cast a dim glow tonight, their warmth swallowed by the weight of what lay ahead. Adrith and Yashika moved like shadows themselves, their steps careful and soundless on the Persian carpets that muffled their movements. The sprawling mansion, once a symbol of the wealth and power Adrith had grown accustomed to, now seemed like a labyrinthine prison—one filled with danger at every corner.

Every painting, every antique piece of furniture, and every family portrait lining the walls was a reminder of the burden Adrith bore. It was the legacy of the Shehrawats—wealth built on deceit, power taken at the expense of countless others. And tonight, Adrith was attempting to undermine the very empire his father had constructed, risking everything in the process. The mansion had never felt colder or more foreboding.

They moved silently from Adrith's room, through dim hallways, passing rooms that held the secrets of generations. Adrith knew the patrol schedules of the guards, the security shifts, and where the cameras were positioned. Even then, his pulse raced with every creak of the floorboards beneath their feet, every distant noise amplified in the stillness of the night.

As they approached the hallway leading to Samar Singh Shehrawat’s office, Adrith held up a hand, signaling Yashika to halt. He peeked around the corner, assessing the situation. Two guards stood stationed at the door of the office, their silhouettes barely discernible in the dim light. They were new additions to the security team—men Adrith did not recognize, which made the situation all the more precarious.

Adrith turned to Yashika, his face a mask of calm, though his heart pounded in his chest. He had to do this. He couldn't afford to let fear or uncertainty control him. He gestured for Yashika to hang back, and she nodded, her eyes locked on his with a mixture of determination and concern.

Adrith took a deep breath and stepped out into the hallway, his posture straightening as he adopted the confident stride of someone who belonged here. He had been groomed for this his entire life—being a Shehrawat meant moving through the world with the confidence of someone who knew they owned it. His expression was cold, detached, as if the guards were beneath his notice.

“Evening, gentlemen,” Adrith called out, letting his voice carry down the dimly lit hallway. The guards snapped their attention to him. Adrith could see the skepticism in their eyes but pressed forward regardless, his tone sharp and unwavering. “I need to get some documents from inside. My father’s orders.”

The taller of the two guards eyed him warily, his brow furrowed. "We weren’t informed about any such orders, sir. Do you have any authorization?"

Adrith's jaw clenched for a brief moment, though his expression remained one of icy authority. He closed the distance between them, his gaze piercing. "Are you implying my father needs to inform you of every decision he makes?" Adrith's voice was calm, but there was an underlying edge—a hint of danger.

The guard swallowed, visibly uncomfortable. He looked at his companion, who gave a slight, uncertain shrug. "No, sir," the taller guard said finally. "Of course not."

Adrith didn't respond verbally. Instead, he merely gave a curt nod, as though dismissing them from his concern. He motioned for Yashika, who had remained a few paces behind, to join him. She moved forward, her eyes never leaving the guards as she gave them a polite but indifferent smile. Together, they approached the double doors, the guards stepping aside.