Chapter 10: The Magical Oil Canvas

"Hey, Tecna," greeted Electra as she joined her in the Hall of Enchantments. Tecna had come here again because Electra had mentioned something fascinating about the basement below Faragonda's office. 
"Tecna, is the schematic of this place finished?" Electra inquired. 
"The three-dimensional one? I just finished it 50.9 seconds ago," Tecna replied. "And you were right; the room is shaped like the sun, with our holograms at the center and the stairs and other hallways extending out like its rays." 

"So, if this room was designed to mimic the shape of the sun, there's one thing I know: with every sun symbol, darkness is never too far away," Electra confirmed her suspicions. "The Hall of Villains was all the darkness they needed to balance out the purpose of this room. Tecna, can you scan an oil canvas with your omni detector?" asked Electra. 
"Sure, point the way, Electra," Tecna said. Electra gestured for her to follow as they made their way down to the Hall of Villains. They stopped in front of the oil canvas portrait of the Wizards of the Black Circle. 

The omni detector blared when it detected magic in the canvas art and the camera embedded within it. 
"Good grief!" Tecna exclaimed. "Electra, there's magic in the oil of this canvas!" 
"What?! I didn't think it was possible for a magical canvas to carry its own life essence!" 
"It is. Mirta has been an art magic user her whole life; her illusions looked so real they could even fool Stormy when they fought. There's only one place in the whole Magical Dimension where art is instinctively practiced on par with the magic imbued in these oils," Tecna admitted. 
"What planet is that, Tecna?" 
"Vallisto, Mirta's homeworld. It's the exact opposite of Zenith in terms of digital technology. All their technology is mechanically based like Earth's, but they have a great love for artistry, so their magic powers brim with conceptual subjects rather than actual elements. One of their greatest skill sets is conjuring magical animatronic machines. But there's something else about this portrait—the magic is as ancient as the Wizards themselves, maybe even older. There's a magical camera in the eyes of Ogron; I think he planted it there a long time ago and sent this portrait himself for this Hall." 

"Meaning he's been watching and waiting this whole time," gasped Electra. 
"It appears that way, Electra, and it's really creepy too," Tecna stated. "Have you noticed how Gantlos and Ogron share Icy's blue eyes?" 
"Yes, and Dumant and Darcy have the same exact yellow eyes too. Do you think they're related?" 
"It's highly possible. The powers of both groups come from ancient sources, but the Wizards of the Black Circle are closer in strength to ancient powers at the same level as the Ancestresses," Tecna concluded. 
"No way! That's why none of us could fight them properly. Compared to us, they're way more experienced with people like us, given they've been able to study everyone who comes down here," stammered Electra. 

"But there's something bizarre: Bloom has faced dark fire powers before, as dark energy-based as Ogron's, yet it never left her just barely conscious." 
"He was absorbing magic straight up, just like Darkar did over a year ago," Electra said. "He's the only other foe who managed to do that, Tecna, and the only one to make his eyes glint red right before he gets what he wants."  
"What if they're the uncles of the Trix, the sons of the Ancestral Witches?" Electra speculated. 
"I think you might be right. I'm contacting Griselda to get this painting veiled by mosaic; it should distort the camera's ability, Electra." 

Just then, Alysha's message beeped on Electra's phone. 
"Alysha needs me in the infirmary. Apparently, they found out who really did the prank yesterday." 
"That's impossible," Tecna stated in shock, realizing she had messed up her detective skills. "Musa and I pinpointed the highly concentrated space of the powder." 
"The highly concentrated powder is only going to tell you where the colored fireball was previously before it was launched, Tecna. I thought you knew that. You should probe the area to find the trajectory of the prank, not its origin neutral spot, before it was activated," Electra corrected her error. 
"Musa was the one who said she could find where it came from, but it turns out she looked in the wrong place for the wrong detail. I'm not going to get all the blame, Electra; she helped me mess up, okay?" 

"Unity! The Wizards of the Black Circle worked so well together; I didn't hear either one of them argue even for a minute during that whole fight, while our teamwork was sloppy and disorganized yesterday."