Chapter 9: Naturally Clever Potential

As soon as the Wizards had departed from Alfea, Ogron's effects of the sleeping spell on the rest of the school were erased. Gafara sighed in relief; Pitch's influence had allowed her to remain untouched by Ogron's sleeping spell. She had been watching from the Old Winx Club's dorm, having come in hours earlier after sending Flora in Alice's direction. Her goal was to convince Clarice to apologize for framing Alice in front of Headmistress Faragonda and Griselda, admitting that she was behind the foul prank from earlier in the courtyard.

Flashback Conversation.
Gafara had entered the dorm after knocking, and Emma, the Fairy of Hearts, had answered the door, welcoming her into their current home.
"I need to speak to your one of your friends' roommates; is she in her room?" Gafara asked.
"Yes, it's the second door on the right," Emma replied, gesturing down the hallway.

The room had belonged to Stella before, but it was much neater now, reflecting Clarice's personality. She didn't have much—just a notebook, some paper, a pen, and a raggedly worn bag. Where had this girl lived before? Her belongings were so few that it was no wonder she was so anti-socially adapted. On the left side of the room were her sparse items, while the right side was decked out like a typical fairy's space, with pure white dressers, a soft whale night lamp, buzzing fans, and a radio transmitter next to a clock. The quilt and sheets on the bed on the right side of the room featured white sound wave patterns.

Suddenly, the bathroom door swung open.
"What do you want? Here to be a teacher's pet?" Clarice asked sourly, fully aware that Gafara knew she had been behind the prank on one of the Winx Club members.
"I wouldn't tattle on you," Gafara began, adopting a passive tone. "I may be Faragonda's niece, but I won't use that to gain leverage or status, Clarice. I know how Aisha treated you, and it was wrong. But that prank you pulled was worse. Framing Alice, just because she defended the Winx, was cold. You got your roommate expelled for something she'd never do. No one believed her when she spoke the truth because you created a false narrative around her. I guess, judging by how little you have here, you don't have a home to return to, do you, Clarice? You framed Alice hoping to avoid being expelled yourself, didn't you?"

A sniffle escaped Clarice's throat; Gafara had hit the nail on the head.
"I live in a safe house with a guardian way outside of Magix City because of me. We were both banned from our homeworld."
"Why?" Gafara inquired.
"They hated my kind for trying to change the elitist system in our world. If you weren't powerful enough, you were sidelined. I didn't want to come here, but I had no choice. My step-brother sacrificed his freedom for my survival so that I could live with my powers. The powers of being the Fairy of Fun were seen as a waste of time. I did it to try to prevent my own expulsion, not realizing I cast a huge burden of disbelief over Alice with the teachers and the Winx."
"What goes around comes around, Clarice. I'd confess sooner rather than later and admit to your foul play. It's not too late to tell them. They might just have enough sympathy to let you off easy this one time, sweetie."

Back to the Present, Clarice was one of the students watching, her heart heaving at the sight of the defeated Winx. Their fragile confidence mirrored her own.

She returned to the dorm and met Gafara, who was still sitting there waiting for Clarice's decision.
Clarice paced in a circle for a minute before finally saying, "I thought about what you said, Gafara. I'm going to do it; I'm confessing to Griselda tomorrow first thing in the morning that today's prank was my full responsibility. You were definitely right about my situation. Thank you for being so gentle and understanding as a fellow fairy."
Gafara leaped up to hug her. In her mind, she hoped this push of goodness for Clarice in the right direction would hide the counterweight of her own deceit beneath her words.

Gafara then got up and left Clarice's room, running into Alice, who had just come out of the infirmary checking in on Flora and Bloom.
"Alice, you should head back to your dorm. Your roommate has something she wants to say to you," Gafara insisted.
"Excellent, your natural ability is proving as potent as your future powers will be soon," whispered Pitch, watching from the shadows. "Creating good students out of your mistakes to hide your lying is a very naturally clever decision, Gafara. I'm impressed; your fairy talents will only get better from here on out, dear."

Gafara's skills of persuasion were steadily increasing, thanks to Pitch's ever-watchful eyes. What would the morning bring to her eyes of her heart? She hadn't yet completed Pitch's original task in their deal. The Earth fairy was still out there somewhere. Gafara was still stuck in a hole with no way out yet.