Chapter 15: Lost Magic of Earth

Flora had taken all the Winx and Electra, her Powerrix members, out for ice cream during the hour they were free. They were sitting on one of Bloom's picnic blankets from Earth, with Kiko, Bloom's bunny, in the middle, juggling pomegranates to make them laugh. They were in the beautiful park of Magix City, where the serene sounds of nature surrounded them. Musa and Alysha were off to the side, playing special tunes with Alysha's crystals.

"This was a great idea, Flora—coming out here to relax in nature," Bloom said. "Just what we needed to get the group back into harmony."

"I love being outside where I can see the sun," sighed Stella. "It's warming my body."

"Naturally, Stella, naturally," Aisha agreed. "That's the job of the sun—to warm things up when they're drearily cold, Princess Solaria."

"I can't believe we already have to go back to work, learning new fairy stuff all over again," Stella pouted.

"Let this day remind you, Stella, that it's bad to leap to conclusions or you'll leap into confusion," Tecna advised, recalling Bloom's Earth-lesson.

Bloom sat in silence, troubled by the nightmares she had about her Earth parents. She couldn't allow the Wizards to find them, but currently, they had nowhere else to stay when they returned to Earth. Musa and Electra joined her on the edge of the blanket.

"Want to talk about that dream of yours, Bloom? I didn't know day nightmares were a thing," Musa asked gently.

"They are, young ladies," Bloom stammered. "My day nightmare today was triggered by the trauma of failing to protect myself last night. I kept seeing my flames surrounded by a python shaped from cascading red and violet flames on my left, and on my right, a massive bull crocodile made of those same shifting fiery colors, lunging at my flames and swallowing them whole. My flames began to fade, and I fell to my knees as if I were being suffocated.

Then I heard their voices—the Wizards—and saw their faces again. They were laughing, darkly amused. A fifth voice called out my name: "Bloom Peters."

It was dark and hollow. A man stood with his back to me; I couldn't see his face. He didn't turn around, but I looked over his shoulder and saw red and violet flames chewing away at a building, with an audience watching in shock. I saw my foster father's firefighting team on-site, but he was nowhere around.

I knew he must be inside the burning building. Mike's rule is that the captain goes in first and comes out last. Then, suddenly, I found myself in the building on fire. The ceiling was about to collapse, and I saw my dad stuck under debris. I reached out to remove it and called out, "Daddy, I'm here. I'll help you!"

"Bloom, behind you!" Mike shouted in the dream. I turned around just in time to avoid being trampled by a ghostly black mare, its voice echoing through the magic I remembered from childhood stories.

"You don't scare me, Pitch Black! You never have! Back off!" I shouted.

"I didn't know your Dragonflame would expose you so soon to the truth, but I know you are lying, Bloom. Your heart never leaves a good soul in danger. Take this as a vital warning, Bloom; there will be battles to come that you and your team cannot win in your next mission." Pitch Black spoke charismatically, irking me further. "We both know your Earth parents won't stand by when other Earth civilians are in danger. You can't expect them to avoid the chaos you create. Can you trust them enough to protect themselves, like your own birth mother, Marion protected your birth father, who didn't deserve that familial protection—twice, Bloom?"

With Pitch's haunting voice screaming in my mind, I had woken up from that foul nightmare during the day, goosebumps climbing my arms as I relayed the craziness to Electra and Musa.