Chapter Seven

Four's Point of View

     When I pull into the driveway, I see my dad's car. He is a business owner and the mayor of Chicago, so we're rich.

Great. I think to myself.

     I walk in with grocery bags and my backpack on. My dad is sitting on the couch drinking beer and reading the newspaper. I would try to sneak past him, but the living room is on the right of the entryway with no walls separating the two. I walk to my left to set the groceries down in the kitchen and hope to dart for my room, but my father doesn't let me get that far.

"Where were you? You're late." He grumbles.

"I went to go get milk." I reply.

"Does it look like I give a damn?!" He shouts.

     He then slaps the newspaper onto the coffee table in front of him, drinks the rest of his beer, gets up, and throws the bottle at me. I duck right in time as the bottle crashes into the wall. He then starts to loosen his belt.

"When I tell you to be here at a certain freaking time, you be here. You don't go and do what TOBIAS WANTS TO DO!" He inclines.

     By now, he is about a foot away from me. He brings the belt down on my face leaving a huge mark. Both of my hands curl over my now bleeding face and my voice lets out a whimper. My father then belts the weapon down upon my back at least fifteen times.

"NOW GET TO BED!" He yells.

     I grab my backpack and run. When I get to my room, I slam the door and lock it. Then, the backpack is thrown to the opposite side of the room, slamming into my guitar. I rush into my bathroom and put some ointment and bandages around the gash. I walk out, go to my mini fridge -I usually go to bed hungry -and take out a sandwich. Plopping onto the window seat, I look out. I look around and see a girl standing on her balcony. Funny, I've never notice before. My sandwich is all done so I throw out the plastic, brush my teeth, and go to sleep. The last thing to linger on my mind is the thought of Tris's blond hair and pretty face, even though she doesn't think she's all that pretty. In my mind though, she is attractive but I don't know if I should like her or not. She purposely embarrassed me and needs to know her place in the hierarchy of this school.