♕♙Chapter 25♙♕

Today is the annual Mafia ball! As someone who hates long events, I always have a solution for it

Today is the annual Mafia ball! As someone who hates long events, I always have a solution for it. It's also my first year going to a Mafia ball with nothing happening to me in over two years. Not like I let my 'birthday gift' affect my annual prank for the large events.

The days are growing colder, and Ales has been absent for days now. I hear him coming home late at night, but he always leaves before I wake up. It's clear that he's consumed by work.

I am technically not allowed to attend the Mafia Ball due to a ban on my presence at large Mafia events, especially the Balls. The other Mafia leaders vehemently opposed my attendance, preventing the host from extending a direct invitation to me. Fortunately, Ales will be my plus one. I know he won't stand for any disrespect towards me in that environment.

"Let's go," Ales says, appearing in my room.

This is the first time he's spoken to me all week. I've caught glimpses of him here and there, but nothing more. He wears a bored expression that mirrors my own. It seems like he doesn't even realize that he's been absent the whole week, leaving me alone in his house.

I roll my eyes and follow him out the door. I spent the week organizing my dull room. Riley and Savanna came by to help, and Ryan visited occasionally.

I'm wearing a long, flowing dress with a high slit that hugs my body, featuring one long sleeve that drapes down to the ground. The other arm is bare, adorned with a collection of gold jewelry. I've also donned my wedding ring, a beautiful piece chosen by Sara and Ales, adorned with gold and two pieces, one with a stunning jewel and the other decorated with tiny diamonds. They fit perfectly together, with the bottom piece shaped to blend with the main ring.

I quietly take the passenger seat, and Ales drives us to the venue. I believe this may be Ales's first Mafia Ball in quite some time. I don't recall seeing him at any of the events I attended over the past five years before the ban.

They will undoubtedly welcome Ales with open arms, perhaps even rolling out the red carpet for him. Few people are aware that we are married, so my appearance as his plus one will likely come as a surprise. They can't kick me out, so it's a win-win situation. I get to attend the ball, and the host can boast about having the great Alessandro Russo at their event, even if they don't know I'll be there too.

When we arrive, Ales steps out of the car, and to my surprise, he opens my door. Standing in front of me with his arm outstretched and a neutral expression, I wrap my hands around his arm as he hands the chauffeur the car key. We walk slowly towards the entrance, and I can sense that Ales wants to say something.

"Behave," he finally says when I look at him expectantly.

"I'll try," I scoff, but Ales remains silent.

As we approach the entrance, the atmosphere grows louder. The guards at the door straighten up and open the door for us, casting me looks of confusion and surprise.