Chapter 45: Of Silver Moon and Dark Star

There was a dissonance upon returning to the capital. It was a certain relief to return to routine, to a place that would be constant. Well, chaotic, but constant.

Exhaling deeply, I leaned against the café window, eyes fluttering on the glass as I watched the familiar marketplace road with a faint shudder of excitement.

When I inhaled, the sweet, cloying smell of cakes and pastries made me lean back and calm down a bit more.

I glanced at the sky and wondered if the reason why this space felt like a stage was probably due to the weather. Despite the upcoming winter, the sky was clear enough to be annoying.

If this scene was really a stage—if it was a scripted play, the encounter between the main characters would take place somewhere like this where the wind, the sun, and the weather were all begging them to fall in love. I only hoped that it was a good sign for once.

Having enough of the silly thought, I put a piece of chocolate inside my mouth.

I closed my eyes, savoring the taste of the expensive dark chocolate I had ordered, and inhaled deeply, trying to calm my mind.

"My lady."

My eyes popped open, and I exhaled, choking on the chocolate—accidentally swallowing the whole thing. I whirled to see the culprit and coughed—my hands in front of my mouth.

The usually late hero reacted quickly this time, slapping me hard on my back and speaking in panic, "My lady, are you okay? Breathe. Breathe, my lady!"

I finally managed to either swallow the chocolate or cough chunks up into a napkin—eyes tearing up. Through the reflection of the glass frame, I saw my reddened face, and Leon was rubbing circles on my back, trying to ease my coughing fit. It was strangely natural—the way he did it.

His face was ashen and remorseful as he slowly took a step back. "My lady, I'm sorry. I didn't know you were eating anything—are you okay?"

Snuffling a bit and blinking back my tears, I took a deep breath and balefully tried to mask my rising temper. "Sir Leon, can you please not creep in on people like that next time?"

"I'll keep that in mind. I'm truly sorry," he replied dejectfully.

I calmed down a little and gestured for him to take a seat.

The late afternoon glow had a fawning nature to it. Sundrip, the radiant-like glow of the orange sun slipped over everything in sight like molten gold. A translucent shield transformed colors like a coat of wet, water-color paint. The light seeping from the café window rippled against the glass display on the other side, the dark leather seats, and Leon Sanders' enviously blond hair.

I bit my lip. The longer the silence stretched, the more uncomfortable I felt inside my body.

The commoner dress I wore felt starchy, rubbing against my bare skin, my clavicle, my kneecaps, and my elbow. This was why I hated cheap things.

It was distracting, it was not mixing well with the rest of the scene, and it was—

"I was surprised when I received the message," he said, breaking the silence.

"Oh, did I bother you, Sir? You must be busy with your duties, but I—"

"No, no, it's not a bother. I was the one who told my lady to contact me if you need company and not to worry. I'm not busy today—I just never thought my lady would want me as a company."

"What do you mean?" I asked innocently.

He fiddled with his fingers, looking nervous. "I'm just a lowly knight—"