Chapter 25 - Bad Choice

Pacifica's POV

"Again mom!! Really?" I stated angrily, letting go of my hand from my mom's as we went to the living room.

Great, the confrontation room again.

"What? It's two weeks past."

"You can't just stay away from the topic. I know you're not rude and mean.. I know you before and now, I just don't understand you now. If you let me hear--" Before I could even finish my defense, she cut me off stating,

"I'm just trying to protect you!"

"From what?!" I shouted, with exaggerating confusion.

"I just don't get you but if you just tell me--" I continued but she then said.

"Okay! Okay!" She raised her hand, giving up. "You think I love arguing to my own daughter?"

"That's what it looks like.." I muttered and she only sighed.

"Oh Pacifica. I'll tell you my side but please hear me out before arguing about something, okay?" She said and I nodded, very eager to know her side.

"I'm just a poor girl from Oregon, with a father who always use cigarrettes, drink alcohol despite us being poor. Me and my mother always do the chores and everything in our little house. My dad always go home late and sometimes drunk.."

"Why do say it like it was normal?"

"I'm use to it."

Ouch.

"H-He hit us, always leaves us bruises and whatnot but yeah, it was our routine and I consider it as my normal life until Preston came in. He's been very helpful to me when he noticed my situation and he always help me more than the poor townfolks which was very strange back then. He gave us offerings and even got my father to jail. Before I even realized it, I had a crush to your father." I bit my bottom lip, feeling guilty for all the things I blamed her doings and actually going to ask something but I don't know how to express.

"Not trying to argue but how did you marry dad with..that..face?"

"Oh, I was pretty back then." She said, ignoring the hurt from the question.

But seriously Pacifica, that was really offending. And I just realized it now, stupid me.

"Oh." There was a quick silence in the room, probably because this is a sensitive and a personal topic (adding my stupid question) thus, it was hard to process. But then she speak up..

"It made me happy to know that he helped me more than everyone else yet it made me sad to the thought of me not being enough for him. But I didn't gave up. Though the townfolks hate me because I gained more help from him than them. Other than my father abusing me, the others bully me as well because of that." I looked at her in pity and found myself thinking.

Maybe, just maybe, that was also the reason why my dad was somehow strict to the townfolks. And the reason they keep their reputation. The way they treated my mother and the way they have to keep their standards high.

Yeah, it all adds up.

Seriously though, I kept judging her that she doesn't know them yet she was the one who experienced the hurt of not being rich. Oh, such irony.

"Yeah, uhm.. I guess I don't want that to happen to you. I don't want to make you experience that kind of state if you join their way of living. I know people who have the same state as Dipper does. People like them are bad and evil. I just want you to stay away from them so you know, that's why I lock you up here."