Chapter 25

Prin's POV
"You'd think he'd make it easier for us," I complained as I stood in waist-high grass. I supposed that there was some kind of magic on the place, so the cows and other animals had an infinite amount of food, but it was really beginning to irritate my legs. "What are we going to do about the game?" We'd begun to refer to the cake as the game, whispering to Ka that we didn't want anyone to know about the cake since it would expose us.

"We can continue the game once we find Onyx," Ka said knowingly. "Onyx might've found the cake too, and eaten it, then we need to talk to old Vic." I assumed that she was talking about Victor, who appeared to have some sort of interest in animals. I had the strange realisation that he was probably the one to provide the farmer's wife with all the strange animals she had inside. I decided not to tell Ka that.

"He won't eat the cake," Sarphi said for about the tenth time in the past ten minutes. "If he's smart enough to hide from us, he's smart enough not to eat the cake."

Ka made a noise of understanding before she turned around and walked back to me. "Can we go please?" she asked with a little hopeful whine, taking my hand in both of hers. "I wanna go and find the game."

"Me too," Sarphi agreed, quickly moving through the tall grass. "Really, e too, please can we go?" She was acting more childish than Ka was. It was somewhat endearing, but I felt like I was the one in charge, which I certainly hated.

"Okay, fine, we can go back to the house and make sure that Onyx still moves." I let out a small sigh once more, knowing that my word choices would make Ka move quickly.

Ka squeaked and then began to run towards the house, moving quickly through the high grass. In hindsight it was a bad idea, given the fact that it was so high she could easily injure herself. I didn't realise the issue until she had stumbled and got her dress muddy.

"We'll have to sort that out," Sarphi muttered as the two of us rushed after her, dusting her dress off with nervous expressions. "Let's be a bit more careful, yeah? I don't think that dirt tastes nice on cake."

"It doesn't taste bad," Ka commented casually, as though it was a simple difference in opinions. "You just have to make sure the soil doesn't have anything icky in it."

I nodded slowly. "Right." I cleared my throat. "Well, I personally don't like the taste of dirt. And if you're dirty when you blow out your candles then everyone will be eating dirt."

By now, we had made it back to the house, and I tried to keep my voice down so that we didn't alert the farmer's wife. I wasn't sure if she was still with the chickens, wondering what we were doing there, or going back to tell Queenie where we were, so I wasn't going to take any chances.

We rounded the corner of the house, and I stopped in my tracks, quickly backing away and making the others walk back with me. "Your father's here," I told Ka quietly, knowing that Sarphi would be able to hear and understand.

"He is?" Both of them asked in unison. I didn't know who seemed sadder, which was a little concerning.

Then a loud bark reached our ears, causing me to relax. "Onyx!" I called. I knew that this was part of the plan, but we hadn't really talked about specifics. We were just making all this up as we went along and hoped that it worked. I don't even know if this would be considered a plan, it was quite the opposite of a plan.

I shook my head trying to get rid of my jumbled thoughts as I ran in the direction of the bark, kneeling down in front of him. I didn't care much for the state of my own dress, given it could easily be washed. I hugged his neck and gave a happy laugh, looking up at Sarphi and mentally hoping she'd join in to make it believable.