Chapter 20

Timeskip
(The next day)

Sohyun's pov

"Jungwon!"
I saw the familiar head in the crowd.

He turned around and noticed me motioning to come over. The boy stood before me, lifting his brows in confusion. I pulled out his keychain that I found yesterday night.

He gave a small smile as he retrieved it from me, murmuring a thank you.

"It must've slipped out from my pocket. Anyway, what do you have for the first period?"
Jungwon kept the keychain away.

"Maths. Why?"
I started walking.

"I'll walk you there. I'm a little bored and I don't want to get to class too early"
He walked alongside me.

We both walked at a slow pace, chatting a little bit about our weekend. Jungwon seemed shy for some reason, avoiding any eye contact with me. I tried not to let it bother me and cautiously brought up my time with Heeseung.

I constantly glanced at him, but all I got was nods and hums. I thought that it made him uncomfortable, so I asked about his weekend instead. It eased him a little, so I just listened to him instead.

I can't believe the boy I used to like is now so timid around me.

"Hey, Jiyoon asked all of us to meet on the rooftop for lunch. She prepared something for us. Tell Hee for me too okay?"
Jay suddenly tapped my shoulder.

"Oh sure"
I said as Jay proceeded to make his way to class.

Jiyoon would usually tell me these kinds of surprises, but I guess this time she didn't. Jungwon and I reached my class, stopping before I entered.

"I'll see you later, Hyunnie"
His tone was gentle while waving to me.

I waved back to him, watching him walk away. A smile formed on my face. I haven't been called that by him in many months. It felt peculiar, but I was happy as I entered class.

Timeskip
(Lunch)

I made my way up to the rooftop alone, hoping to see someone already there waiting. Leaving the door ajar behind me I walked closer to the bright coloured mat with a few items on it.

I spotted an opened photo album and a basket. Suddenly, a voice spoke.

"Surprise"
Jiyoon came over to me from one of the old torn couches.

"This was what you were hiding??"
I asked, and she nodded.

"I want to look through the album together with the rest, just for memories. We're having our exams pretty soon"
She replied.

"Wow, what's all this?"
Jay's voice was heard from afar.

"I'll explain again when the other two get here. Don't flip through it yet, Jayy"
Jiyoon pushed her boyfriend's hand aside, making me chuckle.

"Hey, I wanna try scaring Heeseung when he comes in. Could you record his reaction? It'll be fun"
I elbowed Jiyoon.

She agreed to it.

"Okay! I'll signal to you when he's there"
I told her as she took out her phone while she brought Jay with her to film in a corner.

We waited for a while until I heard footsteps coming up the stairs. I pointed to the sound, catching Jiyoon's attention. I mouthed to her a countdown.

Three..two..one..

"Boo!!"
I popped out behind the wall.

I froze, realising it was the wrong person. I cupped my mouth in shame. Jungwon was a little startled, but he started to giggle softly at me.