Chapter 11: Change

On our way back home, I tell Xavier to buy some emergency contraceptive pills. His hands tremble visibly, a clear sign of his anxiety, but he nods in agreement.

I can sense the weight of the moment pressing down on both of us, and I feel a mix of gratitude and guilt. He’s stepping into a world of complications for me, and I wonder if he truly understands the implications of what I’m asking.

Later, in my room, I sit on my bed, the soft fabric of my comforter contrasting sharply with the turmoil in my mind.

I plan my revenge against Lily and Spencer, my heart racing with a blend of anger and determination. I must brutally punish them. How dare they target me of all people?

The thought of their smug faces fills me with a fierce resolve. I can almost hear their laughter echoing in my mind, and it fuels my desire for their retribution.

But the next day, my best friend Camilla calls me, her voice bubbling with excitement, "Samantha, do you know what happened?"

"What?" I ask, my curiosity piqued.

"You know Lily, who has always been jealous of you? The evidence of her sexual acts with many of her sugar daddies leaked on the internet last night.
The faces of the others are blurred, but her face is clearly visible. Her ecstatic expression during those fucking is so gross. Our college suspended her just an hour ago. How lame!"

I am shocked, my heart sinking as I process the news. I know who did this: Xavier! He is a formidable hacker, capable of pulling off something like this with ease.

But I never imagined he would take such revenge on my behalf. A wave of conflicting emotions washes over me—relief, anger, and guilt. In our high-class society, public reputation is everything for a girl. I can’t help but think about the consequences for Lily.

Maybe her family won’t shelter her; they might send her abroad or marry her off far away. The thought of her humiliation stings, and I feel a pang of sympathy for her, despite everything.

I didn’t think that despite my own behavior, Xavier would voluntarily take revenge for me. The guilt weighs heavily on my conscience.

"Hello, Samantha, are you there?" Camilla’s voice pulls me back to reality.

"Oh, yes, I am," I reply, trying to shake off my thoughts.

-"Another piece of juicy news: our famous class bully, Spencer, was admitted to the hospital on the night of our party.
Someone beat him up so badly that he has to stay in the hospital for 5-6 months and undergo two surgeries.
We don’t know who did this, but everyone is happy. That moron deserves it."

A strange mix of emotions swirls within me. Huh, my Xavi, how can you be so awesome?

My angel heart races madly for this mere mortal, and I can’t help but feel a thrill at the thought of his power. What a sin!!!

I should be horrified, but instead, I feel exhilarated. The idea that he’s capable of such things makes me see him in a new light, and I can’t deny the attraction I feel.

I hang up after some more chitchat with Camilla.

I’m relieved that my exams are coming up. I won’t have to see him much, and the thought brings me a sense of comfort.

After the exams, I’ll tell my father I want to go on a vacation with just my friends. I need space to think, to breathe.

After that, I’ll enroll in a prestigious university abroad. This way, I can easily avoid him for a few years.

I’m sure he’ll fall in love with some beautiful girl in the meantime, and the thought of him moving on stings, but I push it aside.

What a solid plan, hehe.…

I can’t help but smile at the thought of my future, even as my heart feels heavy with the weight of my emotions.

Six and a half years later -

Today, I return to my country after completing my MBA degree abroad, a journey that has transformed me in ways I never imagined.

As I step off the plane, a wave of nostalgia washes over me, mixed with excitement and anxiety.

I wonder how Xavi is doing. I didn't inform anyone about my return, to avoid unnecessary trouble, but deep down, I feel a twinge of guilt for not letting Xavier and butler uncle know.

As I make my way through the bustling airport, my heart races, picturing the surprise in Xavier's eyes.

But then, I see him—Xavier, waiting at the airport exit, and I become stupefied.

How does he know about my flight?

Oh, right, I forgot he’s a top notch hacker. If he wants, he can easily access anyone's schedule.

But why does he stalk me? Don’t tell me he still fixates on me after all this time.

I don’t understand it. I’m not a gorgeous or cute beauty; I’m just me. What about me could he possibly like?

Whatever the reason, I feel a surge of confidence now. I am much more composed than before, and I tell myself that I can handle him this time.

When he notices me, he walks towards me with that familiar, purposeful stride.

This year, he turns 28 years old, and I can’t help but notice how he seems taller than before. His handsome face has matured, and his eyebrows have become sharper, giving him an air of intensity.

Although his face is expressionless, his charm hasn’t diminished at all. Crap, why am I thinking about his charm? Sober up, Merry!

Suddenly, I hear a stern voice cut through my thoughts, "Please give me your luggage, miss."

He never calls me "miss" before, and the formality stings. My heart aches at the distance in his tone.

I hand over my luggage, feeling a mix of vulnerability and confusion.

He takes it with a businesslike manner, and then he walks straight to our car, never looking back.

In that moment, I realize he has changed just like me, and it leaves me feeling unsettled.

Maybe he knows about my flight by coincidence. Perhaps he came here out of a sense of responsibility.

The car ride is filled with pin-drop silence, the weight of unspoken words hanging heavily between us.

I finally break the silence, my voice trembling slightly, 
-"Does my family also know about my return?"

-"Yes. I inform them. They should prepare for your return."

-”I didn’t tell anyone for a reason. How do you know about my return, the exact time, and why do you inform those scumbags too?"

His response is cool and detached, 
-"It's my duty to know everything about you. I inform your family only this morning just so they can prepare your necessities."

What more can I say? He also doesn’t say anything else, and the silence stretches on, thick and uncomfortable.

Twenty minutes later, we reach home, and I can’t shake the feeling that everything has changed, yet nothing has changed at all.

The familiar sights of my neighborhood greet me, but they feel different now, just like the man sitting on the driving seat...... 🙂