Chapter 25: Journey

I'm in my room, sitting in front of a large mirror, while my handmaiden, Myra, gently combs my long, wavy blonde hair. I can see admiration shining in her eyes as she speaks in a dreamy tone, “I’ve never grown tired of serving you, my princess. Your striking beauty always dazzles my poor eyes. I heard that the Crown Prince of Aetheria has sent a marriage proposal for you today. Is that true, my lady?”

I chuckle softly, “Gossip spreads quite quickly among you all. Yes, it’s true. The Aetherian envoy will be staying here for a few days. Then we will attend the festival in the kingdom of Aetheria and meet the royal family.”

Myra’s eyes widen with excitement as she exclaims, “The Crown Prince sends a proposal for you without even knowing about your ethereal beauty! When he finally sees you, he will surely faint!”

I laugh heartily, “Myra, you jest! He is the Crown Prince of the most powerful kingdom in our realm. What kind of beauty has he not seen before?”

With enthusiasm, she replies, “I can swear he has never seen anyone as beautiful as you. If he is not as handsome as the rumors suggest, he will never be your match.”

I chuckle again, “We shall see.”

Just then, my head-maid, Aunt Helen, chides Myra, “Is arranging the hair of my princess a cumbersome task, Myra? Why are you taking so long? Or are you simply gossiping with my lady again?”

“I’m sorry for the delay, Head-Maid Helen. Please pardon me for today,” Myra begs cutely, her eyes wide with innocence.

“Keep your cute act to yourself. Now you must go to the west wing; Madam Queen has arranged a session for you.” Aunt Helen is stern.

“A session! For me?! What kind of session at this age?!” Myra exclaims.

“If Princess Alexandra is to marry Crown Prince Robert, you will need to accompany her to Aetheria. You must learn how to behave, what difficulties you might face in serving the princess there, and how to overcome them all.” Aunt Helen tells her.

I see. My mother is as meticulous as always.

Myra’s excitement returns, “Of course, I want to learn! I want to serve my princess better. I’m going now, my lady!” She scurries away, her enthusiasm palpable.

As I watch her leave, I can’t help but feel a mix of anticipation and anxiety about the upcoming events. The prospect of meeting the Crown Prince and attending the festival fills me with both excitement and trepidation. What will my future hold?

“Aunt Helen, will you come with me if I have to go to Aetheria?” I asked, my voice tinged with uncertainty.

“I’m your head-maid, my princess. I will surely accompany you,” she replied, her tone reassuring.

I sighed, feeling the weight of fate’s unpredictability. I never imagined that one incident could so abruptly alter the course of my life.

“What are you doing, my lovely Alexandra?” My royal brother, Albart, entered my room, his presence a welcome distraction.

“I was just speaking with Aunt Helen. I’m sorry, brother, but the Aetherian envoy is disrupting your engagement party today. Is Princess Laura upset?”

“What are you saying, dear? She isn’t that petty. Why are you apologizing? It’s not as if you were aware of his visit. I’m more concerned about you, sister. You’ve always seemed disinterested in marriage, yet this time you seem willing to accept it.

Are you worried about the implications for our kingdom? If that’s the case, just tell me. I’ll speak to Father. If the Aetherian royal family is displeased with our refusal, we can simply confront them. I won’t allow you to sacrifice your happiness for our kingdom.”