Chapter 35: Go To Sleep, Troublemaker

Lisa's eyes flashed with anger. "Practical?" she spat. "You call locking me in a room, ordering me around, treating me like a prisoner, and even falsing me to eat, practical?"

Lugard shrugged, his shoulders barely moving. "It's necessary," he said, his voice firm. "You need to learn to obey, to follow rules. And I'm the one to teach you."

Lisa's hand clenched into a fist, her nails digging into her palm. She felt like hitting him, like screaming in his face. But she knew she couldn't, not if she wanted to survive.

"So, I'm just a project to you," she said, her voice bitter. "Something to be fixed, to be molded into your perfect little prisoner."

Lugard's expression didn't change, but his eyes seemed to gleam with interest. "Something like that," he said, his voice low and smooth.

"Well, I've got news for you," Lisa said, her voice rising. "I'm not a project, I'm a person. And I won't be molded or fixed or whatever it is you think you're doing."

Lugard leaned forward, his eyes glinting with amusement. "Oh, I think you'll find that you're very much a project, Lisa," he said, his voice dripping with condescension. "And I'm the one who gets to decide what happens to you."

Lisa's face twisted in anger. "You're sick," she spat. "You're some kind of twisted control freak who gets off on manipulating people."

Lugard chuckled, his eyes glinting with pleasure. "Maybe," he said, his voice low and smooth. "But I'm also the one who's in charge here. And you'd do well to remember that."

Lisa's eyes flashed with defiance. "I'll never remember that," she said, her voice firm. "I'll never submit to you, no matter what you do."

Lugard's smile grew wider. "We'll see about that," he said, his voice dripping with menace. "I always get what I want, Lisa. And what I want is for you to obey me, completely and utterly."

Lisa's heart raced with fear, but she refused to back down. "I'll never obey you," she said, her voice steady. "I'll never give in to you."

The butler, Jenkins, heard Lisa's brave words and felt a pang of sympathy for her. He had seen many people try to stand up to Lugard before, but none had ever succeeded. He knew that Lisa was in grave danger, and he couldn't help but wonder if she would survive the night.

As he walked away, he couldn't shake off the feeling of unease.

"Tomorrow, she may be in the hospital...if she survives tonight," Jenkins thought to himself, his heart heavy with foreboding.

He quickened his pace, his mind racing with thoughts of how he could help Lisa. But he knew that intervening would be risky, and he could end up losing his job...or worse.

As he reached the safety of his quarters, Jenkins couldn't shake off the feeling of dread. He knew that he had to do something, but he didn't know what. All he could do was wait and hope that Lisa would survive the night.

Lugard and Lisa sat on the couch, a space between them that felt like a chasm. Lugard's smile had grown wider, his eyes glinting with excitement.

"Little troublemaker," he said, his voice low and smooth, his eyes locked on hers. "You think you can defy me? You think you can resist me?"

Lisa sat stiffly, her heart racing with fear. She knew she had to keep defying him, no matter what.

"I'm not afraid of you," she lied, trying to sound brave, her eyes flashing with defiance.

Lugard chuckled, his eyes glinting with amusement. "Oh, but you should be," he said, his voice dripping with menace, his gaze never leaving hers.

The space between them seemed to vibrate with tension, the air thick with unspoken threats. Lisa felt trapped, unable to move or escape.

"You're my wife, little troublemaker" Lugard reminded her, his voice dripping with possessiveness. "And you'll do as I say. You'll behave, or you'll face the consequences."

Lisa's eyes locked on his, her heart pounding in her chest. She knew she had to keep fighting, no matter what.

"But you said you have someone you love and want to make your wife, not me," Lisa said, her voice firm, trying to keep the conversation on track.

Lugard's smile grew wider, his eyes glinting with a cunning light that Lisa didn't notice. "Yes, and how is that your concern, little troublemaker?" he asked, his voice dripping with amusement.

Lisa felt a surge of anger at his dismissive tone. "It's my concern because you're married to me, not her," she said, her voice rising.

Lugard chuckled, his eyes never leaving hers. "Ah, but that's where you're wrong, my dear," he said, his voice low and smooth. "I'm married to you in name only. My heart belongs to someone else."

Lisa's eyes flashed with anger, but Lugard just smiled, his eyes glinting with triumph. He was enjoying this, enjoying the power he had over her.

"Fine, you can divorce me," Lisa said, her voice trembling with anger. "I don't want this marriage either. I don't know why you refused to divorce me. If you don't divorce me, you'll never marry that...that lover of yours."

Lugard smiled coldly, his eyes glinting with a sinister light. "No," he said, his voice dripping with malice.

Lisa furrowed her brow, irritation etched on her face. "Why?" she demanded, her voice rising.

Lugard leaned forward, his eyes locked on hers. "Because, my dear Lisa," he said, his voice low and menacing, "you're not going anywhere. You're mine now, and I'll never let you go."

Lisa's eyes widened in horror as she realized the true extent of Lugard's obsession. She was trapped, and he would never release her.

Lisa folded her hands, her face set in a stubborn expression, her eyes flashing with anger. "Heartless, cold demon," she murmured under her breath.

Lugard's eyes narrowed his face inches from hers. "Say it again," he growled, his voice low and menacing.

Lisa shuddered but quickly forced a bright smile onto her face. "I said...you are the most handsome, kind-hearted young master," she stammered, trying to placate him.

Lugard's expression didn't change, but his eyes seemed to gleam with triumph. "That's right," he whispered, his breath hot against her ear. "And don't you forget it."

Lisa's smile faltered for a moment before she forced it back onto her face. She knew she had to keep pretending, had to keep playing the role of the obedient wife. But inside, she seethed with anger and resentment, trapped in a living nightmare with no escape.

She stood up, her eyes fixed on the cold face sitting on her sofa. "Mr. Lu, can you please leave my room now? It's already late and I'm feeling sleepy," she said, her voice firm but polite.

Lugard raised an eyebrow, his expression unchanging. "You're tired?" he repeated, his voice dripping with skepticism. "I'm not tired. I'm just getting started."

Lisa felt a shiver run down her spine as he stood up, his eyes never leaving hers. "I mean it, Mr. Lu," she said, trying to sound braver than she felt. "Please leave."

Lugard chuckled, the sound sending chills down her spine. "Oh, I'll leave," he said. "But not because you told me to. Because I want to."

He turned and walked towards the door, his movements fluid and menacing.

Lisa let out a sigh of relief as he reached the door, but it was short-lived.

"By the way, I want to watch you fall asleep, little troublemaker," Lugard said, his voice low and husky.

Lisa widened her eyes, her mind racing with alarm. "What is the meaning of that?" she demanded, her voice trembling with indignation. "I can't fall asleep while someone is in my room watching me, I'll feel insecure!"

Lugard walked back to the couch and sat down, his movements fluid and deliberate. He wore a black shirt and black pants, his dark hair perfectly styled, and his eyes gleaming with a sinister intensity. He looked like a king on his throne, watching his subject with cold calculation.