Chapter 1.1: Hiding

Dani's pov:

I must've zoned out because I can feel all of my friends eyes on me, as if they're waiting for me to answer a question that I didn't even hear.

But they are not going to know that.

I roll my eyes as if I was tired of the conversation, and then I slowly turn my head to look at them. -What- I say, trying to sound nonchalant and bored.

They are still looking at me, waiting for the answer I didn't give them, but I don't even know what they were saying. I mean, we were talking about some party, but that was... Oh great, I don't even know how long I've been zoned out.

But again, they can't know that. Cause that would lead to questions, and I'm really not in the mood for that shit. So plan B I guess.

-I know I'm hot but it's not necessary for you all to stare at me.- I say sassily and irradiating confidence.

Everyone on the table looks at me, their expressions reflecting surprise mixed with amusement. -The Queen is back.- EJ announces, while he bows his head. That makes me laugh and everyone on the table joins. I feel my nervousness finally disappear when he asks -Ok but seriously, are we going to the party or...-

He leaves the final part of the question hanging on the air and I frown my eyebrows. Everyone on the table seems to be waiting for me to decide what to do. -I mean it's a party, of course we're going.- I say with confidence, only to hear a loud gasp behind my back.

I turn my head in the direction the noise came from, and I see two girls walking as fast as they can as they gossip. -What the fuck was that about?- I ask, turning to my fiends again. I'm furious and my tone is reflecting exactly that.

Some students of the near by tables of the cafeteria turn their heads to look at us, but their curiosity is quickly replaced by fear when I look at every single one of them with a deadly stare.

After taking care of the curious idiots, I focus back on my table, my gaze demanding an explanation.

-Well... the nerds are invited.- EJ starts, leaving me even more confused. I don't answer, inviting him to keep talking with my silence. -I mean... Gabby's group you know?- I feel all my confidence leave my body as soon as I hear that name, but I don't let my facade down. -And?- I ask, acting completely unbothered by what he's saying.

As no one answer I panic. They know what I did? Someone saw us? No. No that's completely impossible and I have to fucking control myself.

-Wait, is this about that stupid rumor?- Maybe it is a bit risky to directly ask about it, but I need to know what they know.

-What? No. This is about that I don't want to go to a party with the fucking nerds, you know.- I look directly at Ricky, my eyebrows flying up at his childish answer.

But before I can answer, Gina steps in. -But if you were talking about those two girls gossiping, yep most definitely that was about the rumor.- I laugh maybe a bit to loud to be believable, but before anyone can question it I quickly answer both of them.

-First of all, for god sake it's been two fucking weeks. People still talking about that stupid rumor is only giving that little nerd attention she does not deserve.- I start, boredom and a bit of superiority in my voice. -And second of all, what are you 13?- I say looking directly at Ricky , who is now a bit ashamed as I expose him.

-He's kinda right though. A party with nerds is going to be lame.- I now turn my head to Big Red, making him shut up just with eye contact.

-Guys it's a party, a party at Taylor's if I'm not mistaken. Those are the best ones and you know it.- I'm insisting and I don't really know why. I guess I just need a distraction, a night to go wild and forget about the fact that Gabby keeps popping into my head out of nowhere.