Chapter 1.2: Feelings

Gabby's pov:

Dani just leaves, completely unbothered by what just happened, not even caring if her friends are following her or not.

I see how Big Red is still on the mood for a fight, but EJ is quick to grab him and let him know that if he's gonna fight, he can do it on his own.

Gina takes EJ's hand and they lead the way, all their friends following them and finally leaving us alone.

Luke and Connor watch them as they leave and as soon as they loose sight of them, they sit on our table again.

-Who does he think he is?- Luke says as he sits down. -Yeah like he leaves us and now he thinks he's so cool.- Connor continues. Both of them are pretty upset, but I don't want to keep this conversation going. We were having a very peaceful lunch and I just want to go back to it.

-Guys he was just trying to fit in, it's not a big deal.- I say trying to calm them down, getting in return a look of disbelief from all my friends. -What?- I continue confused.

-Are you seriously going to defend him Gabbs?- Now is Hanna the one talking, and I know that she's a bit disappointed.

Hanna is one of my best friends since... well, forever, and she's the one who taught me how to stand up for myself when Dani and her friends messed with me. That was years ago and we were kids, so I don't really care anymore, and I don't even think that they even remember anyway.

We're older now and yeah, we're not friends or anything, but at least they let us be. I mean sometimes we argue, and they definitely insult us behind our back, but they don't really care about us enough to bully us so yeah, we're in good terms I guess.

-Gabby, you there?- Connor asks a bit concerned, and as I focus again, I realize that I zoned out. -Oh yeah sorry.- I'm quick to answer, just to earn another look from Hanna.

-What have we said about apologizing for everything?- she says, half serious half concerned. -Yeah right sorr... you're right- The word almost slips again and I correct myself just in time,making everyone on the table laugh, and just like that, the ambiance is light again.

Then I feel a hand on my shoulder, making me turn and face Hanna, who's already looking at me, and I know what she's about to say.

I sigh even before she starts.

-I know you like to see the good in people, I mean that's why I love you so much girl, but you can't let anyone say those things about you.- She's dead serious, determination and a bit of anger in her voice as she continues.

-God he basically shouted that you would take advantage of a drunk girl you know?- her hand is still on my shoulder and she squeezes it lightly, wanting me to give her an answer.

-You're right... but he was just mad, and all his new friends were watching. He just probably said the first thing that came through his mind, and as everyone seems to know about that stupid rumor, I was the easy target.- Hanna looks at me in disbelief as she blinks a couple of times, probably taken aback with my sudden understanding speech.

-It's messed up anyway and you should not let him get away with it lightly.- she answers, but then she smiles and I know she's about to drop the subject. Thank. God.

-And when you decide to run for president, call me. Cause what a speech girl.- I laugh and everyone on the table joins, the anger and nervousness from before now forgotten.

Hanna leaves a final squeeze on my shoulder before pulling away as she gives me a reassuring look, and I realize that she knows that what Big Red said really hurt me.