31-36

031

[Chapter 31: "A short alley running north and south."]

As time went by, Hiiragi Mashiro could feel more and more clearly that Dazai had made a lot of preparations on how to kill André Gide.

These preparations were secretly planned after he walked out of the bookstore last summer. The world is treacherous and the situation changes rapidly. These things almost consumed all his energy. He tried his best to arrange every detail, but when it came to the point, he became hesitant.

He wanted to kill André Gide, who stood at the same level as Odasaku, with the purest violence before everything happened, so as to avoid some inevitable solutions; but at the same time, he wanted MIMIC to arrive in Yokohama, so that they could set off another wave in this vicissitudes of life, and then get something from it.

These two completely different choices will lead to different endings, and he stood at the fork in the choice, like a pedestrian whose way was blocked by fog, hesitating and unable to make up his mind.

After Christmas, there were several heavy snowfalls.

Those greeting cards written in person in the tavern were circulated among the postmen and then delivered to each other. Mashiro Hiiragi received three cards, one of which was the cow ghost drawn by Dazai, the greeting by Angoban that was so formal that it could be used as a textbook, and the other was Odasaku's written wishes.

Besides him, Mori Ogai also received three greeting cards.

At that time, Mori Ogai was sitting in the underground black clinic on Leibo Street. Three greeting cards of different styles were placed on the table in front of him. He was silent for a long time, so long that the cold rushed in from the crack in the door that could not be blocked, freezing him to the point of having a runny nose. He then raised his hand and picked up the cow ghost greeting card whose true appearance could not be seen at all.

"It's been so long, Dazai-kun's painting skills haven't changed at all..."

A long sigh spread in the empty clinic. The cold wind blew past, and Mori Ogai subconsciously raised his head to look at the medicine cabinet that was always pried open inexplicably. The lock on the medicine cabinet was still intact. The child who always mixed up the blood pressure-increasing and antihypertensive drugs and tried to kill himself hadn't come here for a long time. The

heavy white snow covered the road, and the footprints that had walked together were buried little by little until the original appearance could not be seen...

*

The heavy snow continued to fall until the day of New Year's Eve.

When Hiiragi Mashiro woke up from the warm quilt, the world had turned pure white. On a whim, he spent some time to build two snowmen in the open space. Because he was not prepared and was not very careful when building them, the two snowmen only had an old straw hat. Dazai, who woke up with a quilt rolled up, lazily hid in the window and watched for a long time. In the end, he couldn't bear it anymore, ran to the kitchen barefoot and smuggled out two carrots for curry, and shoved them into the snow through the window.