Crossroads of the past and Present

A week ago, the late afternoon sun filtered through the window, casting a golden hue over the living room. Sari sat at the dining table, her laptop open, fingers moving quickly across the keyboard as she worked.

She was deep into her lesson plan, her mind consumed with deadlines and responsibilities. The gentle hum of her laptop was the only sound filling the quiet space, aside from the occasional click of the mouse.

From the corner of her eye, Sari noticed Miyuki, who had been playing quietly in the living room, slowly approach her. The six-year-old had her favorite stuffed bunny in one hand and an eager look on her face. She stood by her mother’s side, looking up with wide, hopeful eyes.

“Mommy,” Miyuki called softly, tugging at Sari’s sleeve. “Can we go outside and play? The sun is still up. Please?”

Sari glanced down, her heart tugged by the sight of her daughter’s innocent request. She smiled but then hesitated, her eyes flickering back to the screen.

“Not right now, anak,” she said gently. “Mommy’s working on something important. Maybe later, okay?”

Miyuki’s smile faltered, but she tried to be patient. She shifted her weight from one foot to the other, hugging her bunny tighter. “But you’ve been working all day,” she said in a small voice, her words laced with a hint of disappointment. “I miss you, Mommy. We haven’t gone outside together in a long time.”

Sari’s fingers paused on the keyboard, her heart sinking. She knew Miyuki was right. Between her job and taking care of the house, the days had started to blend together, and quality time with her daughter had become scarce. She sighed, feeling a pang of guilt as she looked at Miyuki’s sweet face.

Sari saved her work, the cursor blinking on the screen, but she couldn’t ignore the growing need to be present for Miyuki. She closed her laptop slowly and turned fully toward her daughter, reaching out to stroke her hair.

“You’re right, love,” Sari said softly, her voice warm with affection. “I have been working too much, haven’t I?”

Miyuki nodded, her eyes lighting up with a spark of hope. “Does that mean we can go now?”

Sari chuckled, the sound light but full of tenderness. “Yes, it does. How about we go for a walk in the park, just you and me?”

Miyuki’s face broke into a wide smile, her excitement bubbling over. “Yay! Let’s go! I’ll get my shoes!” she squealed, running off to the door, her bunny bouncing along with her.

As Sari watched her daughter’s joyful energy fill the room, she stood up, closing her laptop and putting work aside for the day. In that moment, she realized that these were the memories that truly mattered the simple, everyday moments of laughter, love, and togetherness.

As Sari and Miyuki strolled hand in hand through the neighborhood park, the sun cast a warm glow over the greenery, making the moment feel peaceful and light. The air was crisp, and the sounds of children playing nearby filled the space with laughter and joy. Miyuki skipped ahead, her bunny clutched tight in her hand, giggling as she ran through the fallen leaves.

Sari smiled, enjoying the rare break from her hectic schedule. She breathed in the fresh air, happy to be spending this time with her daughter, when suddenly, she heard a familiar voice call out from behind her.

“Sari? Is that you?”

Sari turned, her brow furrowing as she tried to place the voice. When she saw him, her eyes widened slightly in recognition. Standing just a few steps away was Travis, a guy from her past someone who had once openly admired her.

“Travis?” Sari said, blinking in surprise. It had been years since they’d last crossed paths, and the sudden encounter caught her off guard. “Hindi ko expect na magkikita tayo dito!”

Travis chuckled, running a hand through his hair, his eyes warm as they settled on her.  “ako din.  I just moved back to the city a few months ago. Didn’t expect to bump into you at the park of all places.”

Sari smiled, a bit awkward as she glanced over at Miyuki, who had stopped skipping and was now curiously watching them from a distance. “maliit lang talaga ang mundo. Ah nga pala, Miyuki, anak ko” Sari said, motioning toward her.

Miyuki, shy but curious, gave Travis a small wave from where she stood. Travis smiled warmly and waved back. “bilis ng panahon may anak Kana pala, btw. How old is  she?”

“She’s six,” Sari replied, a note of pride in her voice. “Talaga baka nga hindi ko mamalayan may dalaga na'ko.”

Travis nodded, his gaze lingering on Sari for a moment longer than usual, as if he was processing the changes in her life. “I can tell. You look happy, Sari. It’s really good to see that.”

Sari felt a flutter of awkwardness but smiled, brushing a strand of hair behind her ear. “Thanks. Life has changed a lot, mula nung dumating sa buhay ko ang batang to'.”

There was a brief silence before Travis cleared his throat, his expression softening. “You know, back in the day, I always thought I’d get the chance to tell you how I felt, but we lost touch.” He chuckled, a bit sheepishly. “Guess I missed my shot, huh?”

Sari felt a rush of memories flood back. She remembered how Travis had once been open about his feelings for her, but back then, life had been different. So much had changed since those days, and the thought of it now felt like a distant echo.

“kalimutan mo na yun,” Sari said, her tone light but understanding. “But I appreciate you saying that. Life has a funny way of taking us down different paths.”

Travis nodded, his smile genuine but touched with a hint of nostalgia. “You’re right. I’m glad we got to meet again, though even if just by chance.”

Sari smiled, glancing back at Miyuki, who had resumed playing with the leaves. “Yeah, me too.”

As the conversation came to a natural close, Travis gave a small wave. “Well, I won’t keep you. It was really nice seeing you again, Sari. Take care of yourself, okay?”

“You too, Travis,” Sari replied, waving as he walked away. She watched him go, feeling a strange mixture of warmth and closure. Life had moved on, and so had she.

Miyuki came bounding back over, her eyes wide with curiosity. “Who was that, Mommy?”

Sari smiled down at her daughter, gently squeezing her hand. “Just an old friend, sweetheart. Now, what do you say we go get some ice cream?”

Miyuki’s face lit up with excitement. “Yes, please!”

As they continued their walk, Sari’s mind lingered on the brief encounter. It felt like a chapter from her past had quietly closed, allowing her to move forward with an even deeper sense of peace.