Admiration

2 MONTHS LATER

Sari was at home, embracing the challenges and joys of motherhood

Sari was at home, embracing the challenges and joys of motherhood. The evening light painted the walls with a warm glow, creating a serene atmosphere in the cozy living room. Soft sounds of the city outside faded into the background, replaced by the gentle rustle of the baby’s soft breaths. Sari, still in her comfortable pajamas, sat on the plush couch, her hair slightly disheveled but her face radiant with newfound love and exhaustion.

Cradled in her arms was her daughter, swaddled snugly in a soft blanket, her tiny fingers peeking out. Sari watched as the baby stirred slightly, her lips parting in a tiny yawn, and couldn’t help but smile. The world outside felt distant; this moment was everything. But the fatigue from sleepless nights began to weigh heavily on her, and Sari felt herself drifting between wakefulness and rest.

Just then, the front door creaked open, and in walked Zach, her brother, carrying two large bags filled with food. His presence instantly filled the room with warmth and energy. “Hello sa napakaganda kong pamangkin!” he called out, his voice light and playful, aiming to lift her spirits.

Sari looked up, a smile breaking across her tired face. “Ah so hindi na ako ngayon ang maganda?,” she replied, shifting slightly to make room for him on the couch. As he approached, the scent of warm pasta, roasted vegetables, and freshly baked bread wafted through the air.

Zach set the bags down on the coffee table, his eyes sparkling as he peered at his niece. “syempre maganda ka pa rin, pero mas maganda tong paborito kong pamangkin” He gently leaned closer, beaming at the baby. “What’s her name again? nakalimutan ko, tinanong kasi ako ng ate Kiera mo”

“Miyuki Sazchna Grielle,” Sari replied, her voice soft and filled with affection. “Ang ganda no .”

Zach chuckled and began unpacking the food. “napakahabang pangalan naman yan Sari, baka umiyak yan pag nag simula ng mag aral.” He pulled out a container of pasta and a fresh salad, arranging them carefully on the table.

Sari shook her head, a hint of laughter in her eyes. “kaya niya yan, nakaya ko nga nung kinder ako na halos mapalo pa ako ni mom sa kakareklamo ko sa pangalan ko”

“eh tapos ano ngayon ganun din gagawin mo kay Yuki?” he joked, nudging her shoulder playfully. He then dished out a portion of pasta for her, placing it on a plate and handing it over with a flourish.

With a grateful sigh, Sari took the plate, realizing how much she had missed home-cooked meals. She took a few bites, relishing the flavors while Zach continued to chatter about his week, making silly jokes and recounting stories that made her laugh.

As they shared the meal, the atmosphere shifted to one of comfort and ease. Zach would occasionally glance at the sleeping Miyuki, ensuring she was content, then return to his playful banter. “You know, I’ll be the fun uncle who spoils her rotten. Just wait until I take her to the park and let her eat ice cream for dinner!”

Sari laughed, shaking her head. “kailan ba kasi plano niyo ni ate kiera, huh? Nang magkaroon agad ng kalaro si yuki”

“Hayyst. Matagal na naming gustong mag ka baby alam mo yan, kaso hindi pa para samin, kaya ako muna ang magiging gwapong daddy ni baby”

They both chuckled at the thought, and Sari felt a wave of gratitude wash over her. Zach’s presence was grounding, a reminder that she wasn’t alone in this journey. The worries and exhaustion seemed to fade a little in his company, replaced by laughter and love.

As the evening continued to unfold, Sari settled back on the couch, feeling a warmth that came not just from the food but from the love surrounding her. Just as she was beginning to relax, her phone buzzed with a group call notification. It was from her friends, Mira and Scarlet, back in the Philippines, along with Doc Anastacia, who was still in Sydney.

Zach nudged her playfully. “Sari, may tumatawag sayo! Want me to get it?”

Sari smiled, grateful for the distraction. “Yes kuya”

Zach picked up the phone, tapping the screen to join the call. The familiar faces of Mira and Scarlet popped up, their expressions bright and cheerful. “Surprise!” they exclaimed in unison, their excitement spilling through the screen.

“Hello, guyss!” Sari said, her heart lifting at the sight of her friends. “biglang napatawag miss na ba ako?”

Anastacia, who had just joined the call, “hindi ikaw, Sari! How are you holding up? How’s little Miyuki?”

Sari beamed with pride as she gently cradled her daughter. “ganun kayo ha.  Ito tulog pag umaga gising sa gabi, laging pinupuyat ang mommy,” she replied, glancing at Miyuki, who was still peacefully snoozing.

Scarlet leaned closer to the camera, her expression serious but playful. “Normal lang yan masanay kana! Where’s the baby? gusto kong makita ang napa kaganda naming pamangkin”

Zach took the phone, tilting it slightly to capture Yuki’s serene face. “Look at her! She’s a mini superstar already,” he said, his voice filled with affection.

“haystt, sabik na akong makita ng personal ang baby na yan!” Mira chimed in, her voice filled with warmth. “You’re going to be such a great mom, Sari. And we’re here for you, even from halfway across the world.”

Sari felt a rush of gratitude. “Thank you, guys! I really need all the support I can get right now. I miss you”

Scarlet nodded. “kung hindi mo natatanong, miss na miss Kana din namin. Basta Just remember to take care of yourself, ha.”

Anastacia chimed in, “huwag kayong mag worry guys! andito naman ako , inaalalayan ko lang si Sari”

They all laughed, the camaraderie and love palpable even through the screen.

Zach, feeling the mood lift, added, “And don’t forget, I’m the fun uncle here to spoil her! Ice cream for dinner, remember?”

“Just what I need,” Sari joked, rolling her eyes playfully. “You’re going to give me a heart attack with all that sugar!”

Mira waved her hand dramatically, “Don’t listen to him! You need to build her strength with healthy foods. But maybe a little ice cream wouldn’t hurt occasionally.”

The conversation flowed effortlessly, filled with laughter, advice, and shared stories about motherhood and life. Sari felt uplifted by the love and encouragement from her friends.

As the call continued, she shared a few funny anecdotes from the past couple of months, including her challenges and the joys of those sleepless nights. The friends offered words of encouragement, and together they planned virtual hangouts in the coming weeks, promising to support Sari however they could.

With Zach sitting beside her, Sari realized how fortunate she was to have such a strong support system, no matter the distance. In that moment, surrounded by laughter and friendship, she felt ready to take on the beautiful chaos of motherhood, knowing she wasn’t alone.