In the Heart of Two Worlds

8 MONTHS AGO*

Sari sat quietly on the edge of her bed, the soft glow of the late afternoon sun casting a warm light across the room

Sari sat quietly on the edge of her bed, the soft glow of the late afternoon sun casting a warm light across the room. Her hands gently cradled her rounded belly, feeling the subtle movements of life inside her. She smiled, a mix of excitement and nervousness dancing in her heart.

“hiii anak, our little one,” she whispered softly, her voice filled with tenderness. “It’s just me and you right now… but soon, you’ll be here, in my arms.”

She rubbed her belly in slow circles, feeling the strong kicks in response. “lakas mo na sumipa anak ah,” she said, laughing gently. “alam mo iniisip ko kung magiging tulad mo ba ako, maingay at masayahin. Or kalmado at tahimik lang? Either way, I can’t wait to meet you.”

For a moment, she paused, her eyes growing misty as she thought about everything that lay ahead. “I want to be the best mom I can be for you, you know that?” Her voice wavered slightly. “But sometimes… sometimes I’m scared. What if I don’t know what to do? What if I don’t always have the answers?”

She let out a deep breath, leaning back against the pillows. “I promise you, though, I’ll always try. I’ll give you all the love I have, maraming nag hihintay sa pag labas mo anak, excited na sina lolo at lola pati si tito Zach mo”

Her belly shifted again, a reminder that she wasn’t alone, and Sari smiled, her heart full. “siyempre, pati ang mga tita ninangs  mo. excited na silang makita ang unang pamangkin sa grupo”

She rested her hand gently on her belly, her mind drifting toward the future. “I love you already, more than you’ll ever know. And I can’t wait to see what the world has in store for us.”

Sari was lost in the moment, her hand resting on her belly, when her phone vibrated on the nightstand. She glanced at the screen and saw her mother’s name flashing.

With a sigh and a soft smile, she picked it up. “Hi, Mom.”

“Sari! Kamusta, anak? We’ve been trying to reach you all day,” her mother’s voice came through, full of concern.

“I’m fine, Ma,” Sari reassured her, leaning back against the headboard. “nag papahinga lang. Medyo napapadalas nadin ang sipa ni baby.”

Her father chimed in from the background. “How’s our apo doing, ha? You’re not overworking yourself, are you?”

Sari smiled, feeling their love from halfway across the world. “still nag tuturo pa rin ako dito, pero next month mag maternity leave na ako, tsaka okay lang po si baby dad. healthy naman sabi ng Doc kong si Tacia.”

Her mother sighed, her voice softening. “hanggang ngayon hindi parin ako makapaniwala , Sari. Our little girl, having a baby. Lagi nalang akong naiiyak.”

Sari’s eyes grew misty at her mother’s words. “huwag ng ma drama, Mom. I miss you both.”

“We miss you too, hija,” her father said. “You know, we’ve been talking... maybe we can come visit after the baby is born, help you settle in.”

Sari’s heart swelled at the thought, but she felt a pang of hesitation. “talaga po?,” she said softly, “pero pa'no po yung business at work niyo diyan? hindi po ba kaya ako maka abala?.”

There was a brief pause before her mother spoke again, her voice filled with warmth. “kahit kailan hindi ka naging abala sa amin anak, Just promise us one thing, take care of yourself and the baby. We can’t wait to meet our apo.”

“I promise,” Sari replied, her voice steady. “And I can’t wait for you to meet them, too.”

Just as Sari settled back into the bed, her phone buzzed again. She chuckled softly, seeing Tacia’s name this time.

“Hi, tita ninang!” Sari greeted as she answered, a playful smile on her lips.

“Sari, you’re still up?” Tacia’s voice came through, tired but light-hearted. “I just got off my shift and couldn’t help but think have you bought baby clothes yet, or are you still slacking?”

Sari laughed, shaking her head. “I haven’t been slacking, okay? pero meron na akong mga nabili pero I think kulang pa. I’ll probably do some online shopping tomorrow.”

Tacia sighed dramatically. “Girl, you’re 8 months pregnant. Huwag mong hintayin kung kelan ka manganak saka ka naman mamili, I know you’re going for the whole ‘chill mom’ vibe, but trust me, once the baby arrives, you’ll wish you were more prepared.”

“Alam ko,” Sari said with a grin. “ready naman na yung mga kailangan niyang gamit, pero kulang pa, dadagdagan ko nalang .”

“Well, reality is about to hit you in the  form of a tiny human who’s going to need a wardrobe,” Tacia teased. “I’m serious though, tulungan kita. We can do a baby shopping spree when I’m off this weekend. You can’t say no!”

Sari’s heart warmed at the offer. “wala namang akong karapatan para tumanggi. Alam kong i sspoil mo itong baby ko.”

Tacia laughed softly. “Of course! Naku apat kaming rich tita ng baby na yan, Sari. Kaya sobrang excited na kaming makita si baby.”

Sari smiled, feeling a little more at ease. “I appreciate it, Tacia. Sobrang swerte ko kasi andiyan ka.”

“Swerte? You have no idea,” Tacia quipped. “Now get some rest. You’ve got baby clothes to buy tomorrow!”

“I will. Goodnight, Tacia.”

“Goodnight, Sari. Talk to you soon.”

As Sari hung up, she felt a sense of comfort knowing her best friend was by her side, ready to help her through the journey ahead. She looked down at her belly and whispered, “You’re going to have so many people who love you.”