Caring together

The morning sun streamed through the curtains of Sari’s cozy living room, casting a warm glow on the familiar surroundings. Sari was busy in the kitchen, preparing breakfast for her daughter, Miyuki, who was still asleep. The aroma of pancakes filled the air, mixing with the soft sound of music playing in the background.

As Sari flipped a pancake, she heard a soft knock at the door. Curious, she wiped her hands on a kitchen towel and made her way to the entrance. When she opened the door, she was surprised to see her brother, Zach, standing there, looking somewhat anxious yet determined.

“kuya! napadaan ka?” Sari asked, stepping aside to let him in. She could tell something was on his mind.

Zach entered, his demeanor serious as he looked around the living room. “Sari. I wanted to talk to you about something important,” he said, rubbing the back of his neck, a gesture Sari recognized as a sign of his nervousness.

“Anu?” Sari replied, closing the door behind him. She could sense the weight of his words even before he spoke them.

“I’ve been thinking a lot about Miyuki and school,” he began, his eyes meeting hers with sincerity. “I want to help take care of her. I mean, I want to be the one who drops her off and picks her up every day.”

Sari blinked in surprise, taken aback by his request. “You want to help with that?” she asked, trying to process his words. “kuya, sobrang laking tulong na yan. Teka are you sure?”

“I am,” he said firmly, a hint of determination in his voice. “para naman mabawasan ng kaunti ang ginagawa mo.  Plus, I love spending time with Miyuki. Kami ng ate Kiera mo.”

Sari felt a rush of warmth in her chest. It was always heartwarming to see her brother so committed and caring. “You really mean it?” she asked, searching his face for any sign of hesitation.

“Oo nga, ang kulit. I know she’s starting school soon, and it’s going to be a big change for her. I want to be there for her, to help her adjust,” Zach replied, his tone earnest. “I want her to know she has family looking out for her.”

Sari’s heart swelled with gratitude. She had been so focused on balancing her responsibilities as a single mother that she hadn’t realized how much support she could lean on from her brother.

“kuya, salamat. I know she would love having you around,” she said, her voice softening.

“naku, mag kapatid tayo, sino pa ba'ng magtutulungan kundi tayo tayo lang.” Zach said, a smile breaking through his earlier tension. “ And i’ll pick her up from school today and take her for ice cream afterward.”

Sari chuckled, shaking her head. “kuya, huwag mong sinasanay sa ice cream ang anak ko,”

“pa minsan minsan na nga lang eh,” he laughed, his eyes lighting up with excitement. “But seriously, I just want her to know she can count on me.”

“alam ko,” Sari said, feeling a sense of relief wash over her.

Just then, they heard a small voice calling from the hallway. “Mommy? tito dad?”

Miyuki appeared, rubbing her eyes sleepily, her hair a wild mess of curls. She smiled brightly when she saw her uncle. “tito dad! You’re here!”

Zach crouched down to Miyuki’s level, a big grin on his face. “Hey there, munchkin! I’m going to take you to school today. Are you ready for a fun day?”

Miyuki’s face lit up with joy. “Yay! Can we get ice cream after school?” she asked, her eyes wide with excitement.

“of course!” Zach replied, winking at Sari as if to say, “See? It’s working!”

As Sari watched her brother and daughter interact, she felt a sense of hopefulness settle in her heart. With Zach’s support, she knew she wouldn’t have to face the challenges of motherhood alone. Maybe they could navigate this journey together, as a family.

“Let me finish breakfast, and then we’ll get you both ready to go,” Sari said, moving back toward the kitchen. As she cooked, she could hear the sounds of laughter and chatter behind her, the warmth of their connection filling the room.