Between love and dreams

FLASHBACK (TACIA & MICS)

It was a warm evening, the sun setting in hues of orange and pink as Tacia and Mics sat on a bench in their favorite park. The place where they had shared so many memories now felt heavy with the tension neither of them wanted to address. Tacia stared ahead, her mind replaying the moments that had led them here, while Mics kept glancing at her, waiting for her to say something anything.

Tacia finally took a deep breath, knowing that what she was about to say would change everything. "Mics, I got accepted to the residency program in Sydney." Her voice was soft but firm, trying to keep the emotion from cracking through.

Mics blinked, processing the words, her heart sinking. She already knew about Tacia's dream of becoming a doctor in other Country. It was something she had supported, even encouraged, but this was different. "So, you’re leaving?"

Tacia nodded slowly, her eyes full of regret. "The opportunity... it’s everything I’ve been working for, Mics. I can’t pass this up. It’s Sydney. It’s where my future is."

Mics looked down at her hands, her fingers fidgeting with the ring Tacia had given her a year ago for their anniversary. It felt like a lifetime ago now. "So iiwan mo nga ako?" she asked quietly, her voice barely audible.

Tacia felt the weight of the question hit her like a ton of bricks. She had thought about this moment over and over, but no amount of mental preparation could ease the pain she felt now.

"Mics," she began, her voice cracking. "I love you. I always will. But this is my career. I’ve worked so hard for this, and if I don’t take this chance now, baka pag sisihan ko."

Mics lifted her head, her eyes glossy with unshed tears. "So what? You’re just going to throw everything we’ve built away? You’re choosing your career over us?"

Tacia swallowed hard, guilt gnawing at her insides.

"It’s not about choosing one over the other," she said, though even as she spoke the words, she knew they sounded hollow. "But my life is about to change. I’ll be in Sydney for years. The work is going to be demanding, and I don’t want you to feel like you’re waiting for me like I’m some distant dream you can’t reach."

Mics shook her head, wiping a tear from her cheek. "I never asked you to choose, Tacia. I’ve always been there for you, no matter how busy you got, no matter how far. But this… this feels different. You’re pushing me away because you think it’ll be easier for you if I’m not in the picture. Ganito na ba talaga ako kadaling iwan?"

Tacia winced at the truth in Mics’ words. She had tried to rationalize it, telling herself it was the right thing to do. "It’s not about making it easier," she whispered, her voice breaking. "I just don’t want to hold you back."

Mics stood up, frustration bubbling to the surface. "Hold me back? You’re not holding me back, Tacia! I wanted to be with you through everything through the tough times, the distance, the work. But now you’re acting like I’m some burden. Like my love isn’t enough for you."

Tacia stood too, tears stinging her eyes. "It’s not like that, Mics. You’re everything to me, but this residency is going to take everything I have. I’m scared I won’t have anything left to give you."

Mics let out a shaky breath, looking away, her heart breaking in ways she didn’t think were possible. "So, that’s it then? You’re leaving, and I’m supposed to just accept that?"

Tacia took a step closer, reaching for her hand. "I’m sorry, Mics. I’m so sorry. I don’t know how to make this easier, but I can’t walk away from my career. I hope… I hope you can understand that."

Mics pulled her hand away, the pain too much to bear. She wiped away the tears that kept falling and took a deep breath, trying to steady herself. "I don’t know if I can understand," she whispered, her voice trembling. "But I guess I don’t have a choice, do I? wala na ba talagang rason para pigilan ka?"

Tacia's heart shattered as she saw the hurt in Mics' eyes. She wanted to take it all back, to say she would stay, but she knew she couldn’t. Not without sacrificing the dream she had fought so hard for.

Mics gave her one last, long look before turning and walking away, leaving Tacia standing there, alone in the fading light. The sun had set now, and with it, the life they had shared.

Tacia stood there, watching until Mics disappeared from view, tears finally spilling down her cheeks as the reality of what she had done hit her. The decision had been made, but the cost felt far greater than she had ever imagined.