A gift from above

A month ago, Sari lay in bed, tossing and turning, unable to find a comfortable position. Her belly had grown large, and each movement made it harder to sleep. She sighed, propping herself up with pillows, but sleep just wouldn't come. Her mind raced with a mix of excitement and anxiety her due date was just around the corner.

The next morning, Sari was sitting on the couch, rubbing her belly and sipping tea, when there was a knock at the door. She wasn’t expecting anyone, but the sight of Tacia entering, still in her scrubs, brought a smile to her face.

“Good morning,” Tacia greeted cheerfully, stepping inside. “How are you feeling? It’s almost time, isn’t it?”

Sari nodded, exhaustion clear on her face. “Yeah, it’s my due date. Hirap din akong makatulog ka gabi sa sobrang sakit ng tiyan ko.”

Later that day, Sari was feeling restless and decided to head to the bathroom for what she thought was a routine trip. She moved slowly, her belly making every step deliberate. However, as soon as she got inside, a sharp pain surged through her abdomen, causing her to gasp loudly.

Tacia, who hadn’t left the house yet, immediately froze when she heard Sari’s loud reaction. She had been lingering in the living room. When Sari’s sound reached her, Tacia's medical instincts kicked in, and she rushed toward the bathroom door.

“Sari?” Tacia called out, her voice tense with concern as she knocked on the door. “Are you okay in there?”

Sari’s response came out in a strained voice, “I… I think lalabas na, Tacia. The baby...”

Tacia’s heart raced. “Open the door, Sari! Let me in!”

Sari, her hands trembling, managed to unlock the door, and Tacia quickly entered. The sight of Sari leaning against the bathroom counter, her face contorted in pain, made it clear this wasn’t just discomfort. This was labor.

“Sari, it’s time,” Tacia said, her voice calm but firm as she took control of the situation. “We need to get you to the hospital. You’re in labor.”

Tacia quickly helped her out of the bathroom, supporting her as they made their way to the living room. “It’s happening now, ready or not. Don’t worry, Sari, I’m here, and we’ll get you to the hospital right away.”

Sari's panic heightened, but she tried to stay composed. Tacia quickly took charge, supporting Sari as they made their way to the car. Sari winced with each contraction, gripping Tacia’s arm for support, her mind racing.

“totoo ba'to, manganganak nako?,” Sari said through heavy breaths. “I thought I had more time.”

“I know, but babies have their own schedule,” Tacia replied calmly, helping her into the passenger seat. “We’re going straight to the hospital. Everything will be fine.”

Tacia moved quickly, driving toward the hospital with urgency, all the while keeping Sari calm and talking her through the pain. "Focus on your breathing, Sari. You're strong, and you're ready for this."

As the car sped through the streets, Sari tried to steady her breath, holding onto the reassurance that even though Gio wasn’t there, she wasn’t alone. With Tacia’s calm presence and medical knowledge, she felt a little more secure.

By the time they reached the hospital, the contractions had intensified, and Sari knew it wouldn’t be long before her baby would be in her arms. Tacia rushed to get her admitted, staying by her side and keeping her focused.

“huminga ka ng malalim, Sari,” Tacia whispered, holding her hand as they prepped her in the delivery room. “We’re almost there. Soon, you’ll meet your baby.”

Sari nodded, tears in her eyes, as she braced herself for the most important moment of her life. Despite Gio’s absence, she felt the strength of her support system, especially Tacia, who had been by her side every step of the way.

                        ------------------

After hours of labor, Sari finally lay exhausted but relieved in her private hospital room

After hours of labor, Sari finally lay exhausted but relieved in her private hospital room. The room was quiet, filled with soft light, and the scent of fresh flowers that Tacia had placed nearby. Sari’s baby rested peacefully in a bassinet beside her, swaddled in a soft blanket. The air was thick with emotion, the overwhelming joy of motherhood finally settling in.

Tacia stood by the window, glancing out, but her attention was fully on Sari. She turned toward the new mother, smiling warmly. “sobrang ganda ni baby, Sari. Tignan mo yung pisngi at lips ang pupula.”

Sari, her voice soft and weak, smiled back, her eyes filled with tears. “ang baby ko,can’t believe it. I’m a mom…”

Her eyes shifted to the bassinet, and she let out a shaky breath, overwhelmed with love and disbelief. “She’s so tiny… so perfect.”

Tacia came over, sitting beside her. “She really is. And you’re a natural already. Naku sigurado akong matutuwa yung mga tita ninangs niya sa Philippines.”

Sari gently reached out, her fingertips brushing her baby’s delicate cheek. A tear slipped down her face as she marveled at her daughter, her heart swelling with emotion. “Mas excited pa nga yun nga yun keysa sakin, haysst I just wish Gio was here,” she whispered

Tacia’s face softened with sympathy. “Hinahanap mo pa rin?. Akala ko ba tuluyan mo na siyang kakalimutan?.”

Sari nodded, but the ache of Gio’s absence tugged at her heart. “Sinusubukan ko Tacia, pero hindi ganu'n kadaling kalimutan ko siya, ang hirap… I never imagined doing this without her by my side.”

Tacia gently placed a hand on Sari’s shoulder. “Sabagay, pero. Siguro need mo nalang tanggapin na hindi na talaga kayo mag kikita, kung mangyari man yun, aba'y mag handa na siya ng nga explanation niya, btw anung naisip mong name ni baby?”

Sari smiled faintly, appreciating Tacia’s words. “Miyuki Sazchna Grielle… yan ang name niya.”

Tacia squeezed her shoulder. “napaka gandang pangalan, bagay na bagay.”

As the baby stirred slightly in her sleep, Sari let out a content sigh. Despite the whirlwind of emotions and the absence of Gio, she was grateful for this moment this quiet, tender beginning with her daughter, surrounded by the love and support of those closest to her.