Chapter Thirty One

Thomas pov

The whole ride home is horribly silent, the only sound is the tires against the road.

Newt sits in the backseat behind Teresa, I wanted to sit with him but he told me to sit in the front seat. It stung for a quick second but I realized how traumatized he must be right now. This Christmas was supposed to be different, supposed to make him happy, but instead it was ten times worse than last year for him.

Glancing back at Newt for the umpteenth time I see that he hasn't moved a muscle. Newt stares out the window with a clouded gaze, his hands are folded in his lap and the only way you could tell that he's actually a live person is his slow blinking.

Looking back out the windshield I sigh audibly and close my eyes. How didn't I see this coming? My dad has never accepted me in my life, why didn't I know that he would flip out on Newt? It was selfish of me to ignore these things just so I could spend time with the boy in the backseat, because by doing so I have just ruined what little self esteem he had. I am a horrible, horrible boyfriend.

Dark thoughts like these swirl through my mind the entire drive home. Teresa attempt to start up a conversation a handful of time but when neither Newt nor I respond she gives up. Her eyes never stop glistening, like she's on the verge of tears the whole time. Teresa cares for Newt and I, it pains her to see us so broken apart.

The hour and a half long drive that usually zooms by because we're having so much fun seems never ending, the sad energy in the car palpable.

After another nervous glance back at Newt, Teresa pulls onto the street that holds our college.

She rolls to a stop in front of my dorm building just as she did a few days ago, none of us suspected when she picked us up so bubbly and happy that when she dropped us off we would all be silent and pained.

Newt is the first out of the car, she has barely even come to a full stop before he's opened his door. Teresa and I quickly follow, Newt waits beside the trunk to get his bag.

Popping open the trunk Newt reaches in to grab his back but I quickly put my hands over his wrists. "I got it." Newt retracts his hands and I grab both of our bags while Teresa closes the trunk.

"Thanks," Newt mumbles, the first time he's said anything since Teresa offered to drive us home, his voice low and scratchy. I can tell just by the look on his face and the hollowness of his eyes that Newt is falling into a dark place, he has told me about his insecurities and everything with his family last year and this year, it pains my heart to wonder what he's thinking now.

Sighing Teresa walks forward and closes her arms around me in a hug, since I'm holding both of the bags I can't hug her back but I quietly thank her for the ride. She lets me go and walks over to Newt, wrapping her arms around his shoulders.

She speaks quietly to him. "I'm so sorry Newt. I really care for you, I hope to see you soon."

Newt keeps his arms to his sides while she hugs him and nods in response. "I'll see you around Teresa."

Teresa manages a weak smile at Newt but her lip quivers, I can tell she's trying not to cry, Teresa has always been a very emotional person and she hates to see anybody else upset.

I tell Teresa I love her and that I'll talk to her sometime. She smiles sadly one last time before turning her back to us and getting into the car. Turning on the engine she hesitates a moment before driving away. Newt stares at the ground and my knees feel weak, I can tell just by looking at him how upset he is and it shatters me into a million pieces.