Chapter 2

POV: Ally

I was up next. My palms were so sweaty that I had to keep wiping them on my jeans. My heart was beating a mile a minute. I couldn't stop pacing. I don't know why I was like this, I've done this twenty eight other times! Just breath.

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath through my nose and out my mouth.

I opened my eyes, "I'm ready."

As if on cue, Mrs. Harvard came out of the room, "Ally!"

I took another deep breath.

I'm ready.

POV: Anthony

I was about to give up when the last kid walked in. That's when I knew she needed to come home with us.

She just looked...done with life. Her eyes were dull, bags under her eyes, bandages on her arms, a frown on her face, and she walked like she could collapse at any second.

I shook my head and plastered a fake smile on my face. I stood up and extended my hand, "Anthony. Anthony Padilla."

She was hesitant on taking my hand, but did anyway, "Ally."

"No last name?" I heard Ian say.

Ally shook her head.

I felt bad for the kid. Her life has to be shit.

Ian stood up when I sat down, "Ian....Hecox." He extended his hand and just like before, she hesitated. But she finally shook his hand and sat down.

I leaned forward, causing her to flinch. I raised my eyebrows in confusion. But pushed it away. That's a question for later.

I cleared me throat, "So, uh, Ally! What do you do for fun?"

"Um...d-draw. Well, u-used to."

I nodded, another question for later, "Do you like video games?"

"What?"

Ian and I looked at each other with wide eyes. We then turned back to her.

Ian leaned forward. She, once again, flinched, "Are you saying that you never played video games?"

She shook her head.

Ian stood up, knocking the chair back, causing Ally to jump, "Girl! You are coming home with us right now! That is not how a child should live!"

Her eyes went wide, "R-really?"

Ian nodded. But then quickly turned his attention to the door, "MRS. HARVARD!"

She came running in, "Yes?! What happened?!"

I stood up, "We would like to bring Ally home."

Mrs. Harvard squealed, "I'll be right back with the paper work!" She ran out the door.

I looked down at Ally who didn't look happy at all.

What? Why isn't she happy? I would be happy as fuck if I was a kid that just got adopted!

I sat back down, "How long have you been here?"

She snapped up and looked at me, "Oh! Uh....all my life."

I shook my head, "How many families?"

She sighed, "You guys make my twenty ninth."

Wait, what?! Did I hear her right?! Twenty nine! And they all gave her back! No wonder this kid lost all her hope.

Ian looked down at her. He opened his mouth to speak, but right then and there, Mrs. Harvard walked in, "Ok! I have the papers!"

I looked at Ally who, again, was lost in thought with a sad expression. Probably thinking we'll give her back like all those other families.

Well, she has another thing coming.