Chapter 4

"Stop talking like that Mariah. You know I don't like when you start acting suicidal." Nikki said.

"I'm not being suicidal!" I screamed. "To be honest, I don't feel like being alive right now. I'm just so fed up with this crappy ass life."

"That don't sound suicidal to you?" Nikki rolled her eyes.

I sighed in frustration. "Just because I don't feel like being alive right now does not mean I want to kill myself!"

"Whatever you say, suicidal girl."

"Fuck you." I threw my pencil at her. I would've thrown something heavier but that was the first thing my hand reached for.

"You're so cute when you're mad." She snickered.

I rolled my eyes. Why was she taking this as a joke? We arrived at my house and then I suddenly remembered that I had to work today. I usually didn't work on Mondays but I had to because of my mother. I looked at the time and realized I only had thirty minutes before I had to go to work. I told Nikki this and she looked sorry for me.

I told her to wait for me while I went inside to change into my work clothes. When I was done I went outside and rushed back in the car.

"Hurry and drive me to my job now." I ordered. "I don't want to be late."

"Ok but you'll barely have any time to do your homework."

"Money first, homework second, is the motto." I said, laughing. Nikki shook her head and sighed. I was expecting her to laugh with me since she was the one who made up the quote but she just looked disappointed.

"Why you getting all serious on me Nikki?"

"I'm not. I'm just worried about you. I know you got to support your family and get this money but doesn't your mother know that all these responsibilities are going to stress you out?"

"She knows. She just doesn't care."

"I told you that I could give you money and hel-

"I don't need your pity money." I said cutting her off.

"Its not pity money."

"Then why you keep offering me money like I'm some fucking charity case?" I snapped. "Keep your money Nikki, I don't need it."

"Wow, Mariah."

I suddenly regretted everything I just said to her. "I'm sorry."

"No worries." I could tell Nikki was pissed off at me. I didn't mean to go off on her, I was just tired of people offering me help. I'm an independent young lady, I don't need anyone's help. I could handle everything on my own.

I got out of the car and hurried inside my job. I tried waving goodbye to Nikki before I went inside but she already sped off. I knew later on I would have to try to fix everything with her but for now, making money was the only thing on my mind.

I clocked in and froze as soon as Rita, my boss saw me. She told me to come to her office. I sighed. I knew I was in big trouble. Rita was very strict when it came to her employees. She believed that everyone should be on time and no one should ever be caught slacking off. She could have you fired and replaced if she saw you slacking off more than twice.

This coffee shop was a reminder of her grandfather who died two years ago from cancer. He owned Rise and Grind and he wrote in his will that he wanted Rita, his only grandchild to take over the business. And she did just that.

"Sit down." Rita ordered me.

I sat down and looked down at the floor to avoid Rita's intimidating eyes. I knew she was going to be pissed off because I came to work ten minutes late.