Chapter 11

Mariah P.O.V

"You officially now have a sugar daddy huh?" Were the first words that came out of my mother's mouth when I walked in.

I looked at her confusingly. How did she find out Travis and I go out?

I placed my bookbag on the ground and said, "I guess so."

She chuckled. "Sit down Mariah. We need to have a mother daughter talk."

"If this is about sex, I think I know everything there is to know." I said before sitting down.

"This is not about sex. I'm going to give you some good motherly advice."
"Alright." I looked at her strangely. What good advice could my mother possibly give?

"Well my first advice is to practice your acting skills. You're probably wondering why. Well it's because you have to do a lot of pretending when you're in a relationship with your sugar daddy. You have to pretend you like him, you have to pretend you're not only with him for his money and etc."

"I actually like Travis. I'm not with him for his money so this conversation is pointless."

"You say that now but wait till later."

I rolled my eyes. I was never going to become a gold digger like her so I didn't even know why she was saying that.

"Another good advice I have for you is to NOT, I REPEAT, NOT FALL IN LOVE!"

I was a little iffy about that advice. Isn't falling in love supposed to be beautiful?

"Falling in love will only hurt you in the end. I don't care how many gifts he buys you or how good he makes you feel. Do not fall in love with him."
"Why is falling in love so bad?"

"There's a reason why I don't get attached to any of the guys I go out with. It is because I don't want to deal with the aftermath if it doesn't work out. I don't want to go through the heartbreaks and the tears and I really don't want you to go through that either."

I sighed. That was actually good advice surprisingly. I was impressed.

"Thanks for the advice mom."

She got up and kissed my forehead. "Just be careful ok?" With that being said she left.

Why was everyone telling me to be careful as if I wasn't smart enough to watch out for myself. I thought everyone was just overreacting about my new relationship. I knew that this was my first relationship and all but damn, could I experience something first before everyone came at my neck about being careful.

I grabbed my bookbag from the ground and went upstairs in my room. My mom came in a few seconds later. "By the way I want to meet Travis. Tell him to come over tomorrow at four."

I was about to say something but I could tell by the look on her face that this wasn't up for discussion so I just said ok.

I really didn't want Travis coming here. This house was an embarrassment to my whole name. What if he judged me? What if he could tell that we were barely making it in life? I didn't know why I was so worried about Travis's opinion. I guess I just wanted to impress him but I knew I could never compete with him. He drove a Mercedes and I drove my mother's broke down Honda civic. He wore clothes that cost more than one of my paychecks. Travis was living life while I was trying to get by.

So many differences yet we were alike in so many ways.

I grabbed my phone and called him.

"Hey Travis. My mom wants you to come over our house tomorrow at four because she wants to meet you."