Chapter 26

Nikki P.O.V.

Mariah had a heart attack and fell down stairs and hit her head somewhere and went unconscious.

I was shocked when the doctor told me that she had a heart attack. I thought she only fell down the steps but her injuries were more severe than that.

Macy and Mariah's mom and I were all crying and hoping Mariah would turn out ok. We were hoping she would survive this. We were also worried about the baby in her stomach. The doctor told us that the baby was at high risk of dying.

After a few hours of waiting patiently, the doctor came out and told us that Mariah was in a coma. Everyone was crying but I knew I had to push my feelings aside and be strong for everyone. I asked the doctor how did she get in coma.

"Its because of her head injury. When the brain swells as a result of trauma, the fluid pushes up against the skull. The swelling may eventually cause the brain to push down on the brain stem, which can damage the RAS (Reticular Activating System) -- a part of the brain that's responsible for arousal and awareness."

I sighed feeling hopeless.

"So when she wakes up, she might have some memory loss." The doctor added.

"Wow."

"The bright side is that her heart is beating normally now and the baby is doing ok."

"That's good."

"You guys can come see her though."

We were all beside her bed side just hoping to see her wake up. Although Mariah's mom was definitely not the best mom in the world, I could tell she was really hurt by this. Her baby girl was raped by someone she trusted, someone she thought would never cause any harm.

We all tried to warn Mariah, one way or another but she just didn't want to listen. She was so blinded by love that she missed all the clues that were right in front of her face.

I understood how she could go into a heart attack after watching a video of her being raped by the love of her life and then finding out she was pregnant by him. It was the saddest story.

All she wanted was love and ended up with pain and misery.

Mariah looked so beautiful and fragile. I just wanted to shake her and wake her up but I knew she wouldn't.

We all looked at her with saddened expressions. Macy grabbed her hand and held it. "Come on Mariah. Wake up please."

Tears were slipping down my cheeks uncontrollably. I couldn't stay strong anymore. I shouldn't have to watch my best friend fight for her life on this hospital bed.

Next thing I knew, the police were barging into the room we were in. "Is this Travis?" The police officer handed me a picture and I looked at it confusingly. It was a picture of Travis. He looked like he was in store.

"It's Travis but he dyed his hair and shaved but I can definitely tell its him."

"Yeah, that's what all runaways do. They change their looks and persona so it won't be easy for us to find them. But it was pretty easy finding him since you told us his car and license plate. You would think he would at least pick another car to drive away in."

"I know right.

"Well anyways we tracked him down and when we caught up to him, he sped away from us. He refused to pull over. He was probably going a 100 miles per hour on the highway until he lost control of his car and went over the curb. His car flipped a total of four times. I was shocked but glad nobody else got hurt. We called the fire fighters to get him out of his car and he was found dead on the scene."