Chapter 14

The next morning, I was standing outside, waiting patiently for Travis. I honestly didn't even want him to pick me up. I wish my mom didn't have to go to work soon because I would have been able to use the car and drive myself to school.

The way Travis was acting yesterday made me feel some type of way. He was being beyond irritating and was acting so possessive. I needed to talk to him about that. I didn't want him to think he could just speak to me anyway he wanted.

He pulled up in my driveway and I made my way in his car.

I rolled my eyes at him but all he did was smile. "Travis I need to talk to you about something."

"Yeah?"

"I really didn't appreciate the way you were acting yesterday. You were acting so inconsiderate all because I wanted a day to myself. When I say I need my space, please just give it to me instead of acting all possessive."

"Yeah, I hear you. Hold on one second." He got out of his car and opened his trunk. He grabbed a big shopping bag and returned to his seat. He handed it to me. "I'm sorry Mariah."

Was this nigga serious? He thought he could just buy me gifts and everything would be perfect between us again. I couldn't blame him though, he was rich. The only way he knew how to express his love was through money and material things. It was kind of sad when you thought about it.

"You can't buy my love Travis. Please keep your gift."

"You didn't even look inside yet."

"I don't want to."

"Please. Just look inside."

I sighed and looked inside the shopping bag. There was only one thing in there. I was confused. Why would he put one little thing in such a big bag? I put my hand down the bag and reached for it. He got me a diamond necklace that had my name on it. It was beautiful and it was real diamond, of course. I couldn't lie, that necklace made me forget about my problem with him for a second.

I wanted to just throw the necklace in his face and say, "STOP TRYING TO BUY MY LOVE!" But I couldn't. Something made me hold on to the necklace. Deep down, I really didn't want to give it back. He went out of his way to have something so precious, custom made for me. I couldn't help but smile. No one would have ever done something so sweet for me. No one.

"Let me put your necklace on for you." He said.

"Ok."

I smiled as he placed it on my neck.

After school, I had to go to work. I hadn't been to work in a week. I never thought in a million years I would be able to not work for a whole week but thanks to Travis, I could.

When I came in, Rita said she wanted to talk to me. I followed her into her office and sat down.

"Mariah, you haven't been working often, why is that? I missed seeing you around."

I was surprised to hear Rita saying she missed me. She always wanted to put up this front like she didn't like anyone but I knew deep down she had a soft heart.

I didn't want to tell Rita that Travis was giving me money so I just sat there tongue tied. Rita was the only adult I could confide in so she already knew about my financial issues. She always gave me more hours than everybody else just so she could help me out and plus she liked having me around.

"Mariah, did you get another job or something?"

I could've easily lied to her and said, yes but I couldn't do that. I couldn't lie to a women who has helped me so much.