Chapter 2

Arguing with my mom last night about Amy didn't get me anywhere. She brushed me off every time I would question her. There was no use talking to my mother. Even when I told her I hated her, she didn't seem phased or hurt by it because she obviously felt the same way.

Amy was crying again when I had went to my room after the argument with my mom. She heard everything that was being said. I promised her that when I got my own apartment, she'll move in with me. I told her she wouldn't have to deal with her mother's wrath or stupidity anymore.

I couldn't go over Maci's house because I had to watch Amy so I had no choice but to let Maci see my embarrassing house once again. I was nervous about getting my hair done. My hair was really long, but so frizzy. I just didn't think Maci would be able to tame it.

I heard a knock on the door and opened the door to find Maci carrying a bag with hair products and makeup. Maci was such a slim girl that it seemed like the bags were weighing her down.

"Hey Maci."

"Hey Mariah." She said coming in. We went into my room and Amy rushed to Maci's feet.

"Hey Amy. How you been?"

"Good." Amy said smiling. "Can I watch you do Mariah's hair?"

"Of course."

Maci grabbed her Tresemme shampoo and conditioner and we proceeded into the kitchen. She detangled my hair with a wide tooth comb then began to wash it. It felt good when she was rubbing her fingers on my scalp. After she finished washing it she put conditioner on it and left it for three minutes then rinsed it off.

My hair felt good and it didn't feel stripped like it usually did which was great because my hair tends to be more on the dry side.

I grabbed a chair from the kitchen and took it to my room so I could sit on it while she did my hair. She put a heat protectant spray on my hair and blow dried it.

"You have so much hair. I'm so jealous." Maci said. I was surprised to hear her say that because whenever someone talked about my hair they always had something negative to say.

"I don't think I want to straighten it." She said.

"Why not?"

"Your hair is very frizzy and curly naturally. I don't think we should try to force it to look straight. I have a product that will make your curls pop and your frizziness look good."

"How are you going to do that?" I asked, my eyebrows furrowed.

"Just wait and see." She smirked.

We heard the front door open. "Mommy's here." Amy announced.

I shrugged.

A few minutes later my mom came into my room. She looked at me with disgust. "Macy, I bet you had a hard time getting a comb through that frizzy ass mess." My mom said, laughing. Nobody responded or even acknowledged her existence. She left my room and I could still hear her laughter. I tried to hold back the tears that were threatening to fall from my eyes.

"Don't let her get to you." Maci said. "You're hair is beautiful and unique."

"Yeah, its beautiful." Amy said, agreeing.

"Thanks." I said. I tried to listen to Maci and not let my mother's words get to me but it was easier said than done. Her words just brought back bad memories from middle school when this group of girls would call my hair a birds nest because it always looked unkept and frizzy. Nobody ever taught me how to do my hair so that's what I was left with. Unkept hair.