Chapter 5

I got off of work at 9:00 but got home at 9:30. I tried apologizing to Nikki and everything but she wasn't trying to hear any of it so we basically drove to my house in silence.

As soon as I got home I got a call from an unknown number. I had a good feeling it was Travis. I was thinking about him all day at work and I just couldn't wait to talk to him again. A huge grin spread across my face as I picked up my phone.

"Hello."

"Hey, this is Mariah right?"

"Yes Travis."

"So what's up mixed breed?"

I laughed. "Nothing much, just got home from work. I'm about to start on this homework."

I checked me and my mom's room and noticed that my mom and Amy were both asleep. I decided to go do my homework in the living room.

"Oh, do you want me to call you another time?" He asked. "I don't want to interrupt you while you're doing homework."

"No, you're fine." I made my way into the living room and took out my homework from my bookbag. "So what are you doing?" I asked.

"Talking to this beautiful girl."

I blushed. "Aw, you're so sweet."

"I bet you are too." He said, in a deep sexy voice. A few seconds later it dawned on me what he was trying to say.

"Get your head out of the gutter." I said laughing.

"Sorry, my bad. But tell me about yourself."

"Well I'm seventeen and I'm a junior. I go to Melrose High."

"Oh, my cousin goes there. Her name is Kayla."

"Never heard of her."

"Well she's a freshman so she's not that relevant."

We both laughed. I enjoyed talking to Travis but he was making it really hard to concentrate on my homework. But I wasn't going to end this phone call just yet.

"Well I live with my mom and my little sister. My dad however...." I paused for a moment. "Isn't in the picture."

"Oh, I'm sorry."

"Its ok but what about you?"

"Well I'm eighteen and I graduated high school last year. I have one younger brother and I live with both of my parents."

"Lucky you." I joked. "But are you in college?"

"Nah."

"Oh, well when will you start working at Rise and Grind?"

"Next week. I really don't even want to work there but my dad thinks its a good idea to start working for my own money instead of just getting everything handed to me."

"Are you guys rich or something?"

"No." He said, defensively. "What makes you think I'm rich?"

"Nothing." I was thrown back by the way Travis was getting so defensive over me asking a simple question.

There was an awkward silence on the phone.

"Sorry, didn't mean to come at you like that."

"Its okay Travis."

"When can I see you again?"

"When you start working."

He sighed. "I want to see you sooner though."