Chapter 20

Nikki P.O.V.

Her face was emotionless. She didn't say a word. The air in the room was so thick you could slice it with a knife.
"I can't believe you would go this far Nik." Mariah said, shaking her head.

"What you mean?"

"You would go as far as bringing me to Ricardo's house and telling me lies about Travis just because you don't like seeing Travis and I together. Your jealousy has gone way too far."

Maybe Rosalina was right. Maybe she was too in love to believe anything bad I had to say about him.

"Mariah I would never lie about this. You got to believe me." I said, looking into her eyes.

She looked to the ground and didn't say anything for a while. It looked like she was trying to decide whether or not she should believe me.

I was surprised Mariah would even accuse me of lying. I knew I was a jealous person but my jealousy wasn't bad to the point where I would make up lies about Travis.

She looked up at me. "Can I at least get some proof of these allegations against my boyfriend?"

"Ricardo has all the evidence." I said proudly.

Mariah rolled her eyes. "Well show me the proof."

He showed her a mugshot of Travis. She looked at it closely as if she was hoping the picture would change. But we all knew it wouldn't. It was Travis in that mug shot and there was no denying it.

"This just can't be true. I know Travis. I know him! He's never been to jail."

I shook my head and sighed.

"This has to be all wrong. I just don't believe any of this." She kept pacing around the kitchen, not able to wrap her head around this.

"Well I have more proof Mariah." Ricardo said. He took out a contract and handed it to her.

"What is this?" Mariah asked confused.

"Its the contract Rita, his boss had to sign to keep quiet about his past."

She gasped. "Rita?"

"Yes Rita."

"Nah, Rita would let me know about this. Were close. She would let me know this. Wouldn't she?" She said, with a lot of doubt in her voice. It sounded like she wasn't even sure what to believe anymore.

"Maybe you don't know your friends as much as you think you do." Ricardo said.

Mariah sat down and read the contract.

"How could she not tell me he had a criminal record?"

"She couldn't. They would threatened her life if they knew she spoke up about it." I said.

Mariah just looked shocked and hurt. She seemed to finally be realizing that everyone is not who she thought they were. "Are you sure this is right?" She asked.

Ricardo and I both shook our head yes.

"Just look at the signature."

She did and groaned. "That is Rita's signature. Oh my gosh."

I sighed. "Do you believe us now?"

"I don't know. Let's say Travis did have a criminal record. That doesn't means he's a rapist like you guys are accusing him of being."

"Show her one of the victims." I said.

Ricardo took his laptop and searched the name Katherine Washington. He clicked on a picture of her and showed her to Mariah.