Chapter Twenty-Eight

"Good morning Regina." John said when I walked into the kitchen the next morning. He sat at the table with Imogen and Grandma. Ed was leaning against the wall, not looking at me. I tried to smile, but I really didn't feel like it.

"Hi..." I said. I stood in the doorway, staring at Ed. Everyone remained silent. I can't let what happened yesterday get between us. I can't. "Ed, can I talk to you?" I asked. The ginger guy looked at me in surprise. "Alone?"

"Sure." He replied quietly. He walked over to me and we went back to the bedroom. Ed sat down on the bed and I sat next to him. "What's uh... Are you..." I looked at my boyfriend's face. He was struggling to find the right words to say. But I knew what he was trying to say.

"Yesterday was just... Not a good day for me..." I explained. "And I know I shouldn't have snapped at you, but..." I looked away. "You just won't ever understand..." Ed took a hold of my wrist. I looked at him again. There was sadness in his eyes.

"Actually, I do. My mom and dad used to be like that." He paused. "But I also know the pain you feel." He let go of my wrist and rolled up one leg of his jeans. Doing that, he exposed scars from cutting. I was shocked.

"Ed... I..." I stammered, staring at the scars. He let the pant leg fall and nodded slowly.

"Yeah I know. Big shock." He said. He laid down on the bed. "But since you've been around, the stuff... It just hasn't happened." I laid down next to Ed, resting one arm across his chest.

"I'm sorry, Ed..." I whispered. "I didn't know..." He took a deep breath and let it go.

"Don't be sorry." He replied. "I just want you to know I'm here for you." I stayed silent. To think, without me, Ed suffers... I thought. No wonder he puts up with me...

Suddenly, Ed rolled over and faced me. He wrapped his free arm around me and pulled me closer. "Come here..." He whispered. Once I was pressed against him, he rolled back over so I was cuddled on his body. "Reggie?" He said.

"Yeah?"

"You know I love you right?"

"Yeah."

"You know I'd do anything for you right?"

"Yeah..."

"And you know I'm here for you?"

"Yes Ed..." I buried my face in his chest and listened to him breathe. His heartbeat was pretty loud too. A steady pa-pump pa-pump. "You know I love you? And I'm here for you too?" I asked.

"I know." Ed's arms tightened around me. "I just don't want to lose you..."

"You won't..." I said. Not today. Not tomorrow. Not ever. "I promise."

~time lapse~

"Happy Christmas!" Grandma exclaimed, giving a package to everyone, including me. Imogen got a candle and John got a book about Paublo Picasso. Ed slowly opened his package, careful not to rip the paper too much. "Oh, Teddy, just open it!" Grandma said.

"Okay." Ed said, tearing at the paper. It revealed a beautiful orange and blue scarf, which looked like it had been knit by Grandma. "Oh, Grandma its beautiful!" Ed said, as if he read my mind.