00.prologue

~March 12, 1899 (Southern Mississippi)~

Being a minority in a place such as USA in this time period has always been hard, especially for a family who didn't have much at all, but let's start from the beginning, shall we?

Josephine Funnel was an average american woman, her parents were rich Caucasian people who only cared for no one but themselves. Josephine was different from her family, she loved people and never seen anyone different from her.

She saw everyone as equal.

One morning as Josephine started her daily routine such as brushing her hair and spraying herself with expensive perform, she heard her father's voice ring through the house loudly. He wasn't angry, no, but he was giving instructions? Curiosity got the best of Josephine as she made her way downstairs.

"You will cook for us, clean after us, and also work for us in any favor we'd like for you to do. You hear? You wanted a job...and now you have one." Joseph Funnel said loudly to the man of minority in front of him. One of the servers for Josephine's father walked up to him and whispered in his ear. He nodded at the young man and turned to the man once again. "You stay here until I get back, I won't be long." The man nodded at mean, old Joseph and watched him leave. The young woman with bouncy brown hair, Josephine, walked down the stairs slowly and approached the man.

"Hello there." Josephine greeted the young man and looked right in the eyes as she did so. The man didn't want to look at her but felt like he should.

"Hello." He said, his accent undeniable Spanish.

"What's your name?"

"Malio, but my family calls me Manny." The young man, Manny, told the woman with pale skin, green eyes, and brown hair. Josephine smiled at him slightly but then frowned when she remembered that he wasn't here for a friendly visit.

"You'll be working for us, won't you?" Josephine asked curiously. Manny nodded at her almost sadly. "How old are you?"

"I'm 18, Miss."

"Please...call me Josephine."

"I'm 18, Josephine. You named after your pa?" Manny asked as he was still standing in the same position Joseph told him to stand in. Josephine nodded, smiling sadly slightly. "How old are you?"

"I'm a young thing, that's what my mother says, but I'm nothing but 16. That's not too young, at least that's what I'd say." She told him looking towards the floor but looked up and stared in his eyes and took in his appearance. His brown skin and brown eyes, the way his hair was combed back neatly, the way his clothes fitted him perfectly. The two young people stood there for a moment staring in each others eyes. Suddenly, Josephine's father comes walking back into the room.

"Josephine!" Joseph shouted at the young girl once he saw her standing near the help of the house. "You get back away from him. Go find your mother and practice sipping tea properly." Josephine stood there looking from her father then back at Manny. "Now!"

"Yes, daddy." The young girl said as she quickly walked into the kitchen to find her mother, but end up finding her on the patio.

"Mother?" Josephine said as she inched closer to her mother. Anne Funnel turned around quickly to see her daughter stand there with her hands behind her back.

"What is it, girl? Your mother is looking at new dresses that can be made for her." Anne Funnel told her daughter as she continued to read letters and drawn pictures of beautiful dresses.

"Daddy wanted you to teach me to hold tea properly, again." Josephine said quietly but loud enough for her mother to hear. Anne waved her daughter to come over.