10.the fondue statement

~1943 England, Military Base~

"Steve, you can't just barge in on Chester." Jinx told her husband; Steve was walking so quickly that it was hard to keep up with him. Jinx was feeling guilty in a way for not knowing that Bucky was one of the soldiers in the 107 divisions.

"Oh yeah? Watch me." Steve said as he walked into the tent Colonel Phillips was in, before Jinx could say a word Steve spoke again. "Colonel Phillips?"

"Well, if it isn't the star spangled man with a plan." Chester Phillips said as he looked up to see Steve standing in front of him. Chester then gave Jinx and Peggy a look before looking back at Steve once more. "And what is your plan today?"

"I need the casualty list for Rosano." Steve told the Colonel with any hesitation.

"You don't get to give me orders, son."

"I just need one name; Sergeant James Barnes from the hundred and seventh." Steve told the Colonel, his voice held such urgency. It was then that Chester knew that some information was given to him, he darted his eyes to Peggy and Jinx.

"Ladies, we are gonna have a conversation later that you two won't enjoy." Chester said pointing towards Jinx and Peggy. Jinx wanted to say something to him so badly but Steve gave her a look that told her that she should calm down and so she did.

"Please tell me if he's alive, sir. B-A-R..."

"I can spell." Colonel Phillips said quickly as he cut Steve off from saying anything else. Jinx inched forward a bit as she got annoyed with Chester's attitude, but Steve was the one who was quick enough to pull her back moments before she could do anything. Jinx looked at her husband in a way that told him to let her go but he also gave her a look that told her to calm down and not worry about it. Jinx didn't want to just be quiet and allow Chester to treat her husband the way he did, she thought it was unfair and unnecessary for the Colonel to carry some type of resentment towards Steve. Chester was still looking at the papers he pulled out and seem to have found nothing. "I have signed more of these condolence letters today than I would care to count. But the name does sound familiar. I'm sorry."

"What about the others? Are you planning a rescue mission?" Jinx asked speaking for the first time being in the tent.

"Yeah! It's called winning the war."

"But if you know where they are, why not at least...?" Steve asked in disbelief.

"They're thirty miles behind the lines; through the most heavily fortified territory in Europe. We'd lose more men than we'd save. But I don't expect you to understand that, because you're a chorus girl." Chester said to Steve. Jinx really didn't like his tone so once again she tried to walk towards him but Steve caught her by the wrist, holding her back.

"I think I understand just fine."

"Well then understand it somewhere else. If I read the posters correctly, you got some place to be in thirty minutes." As Phillips walked away Steve looked at the military map, which showed where the men were.

"Yes, sir. I do." Steve said mostly to himself with determination.

"We both have somewhere to be." Jinx told Steve after she caught on to what Steve was really talking about. Steve looked down at his wife and smiled for a moment, then they both walked out the tent with Peggy Carter walking after them.

"What do you two plan to do? Walk to Austria?" Peggy asked the couple that walked side by side.

"If that's what it takes." Jinx told her.

"You heard the Colonel, your friend is most likely dead."

"You don't know that." Steve said not really accepting the possibility of Bucky being dead.