04.the love my parents shared

~1942 Brooklyn, New York (Recruitment Center)~

Jinx wanted so badly to rush over to Steve and give him a tight hug that made sure he knew exactly how much she missed him, but she had to be professional. Just then, Dr. Erskine walked in with a file, assuming it was Steve's.

"So, you want to go overseas? Kill some Nazis." Dr. Erskine asked in a serious tone. Jinx smirked knowing that he was only testing Steve.

"Excuse me?" Steve asked raising an eyebrow, he was not completely sure if he heard him well.

"Where are you from Mr. Rogers? Mmm? Is it New Haven? Or Paramus? Five exams in five different cities." Dr. Erskine flipped through Steve's file and even showed Jinx all of the places the little guy said he was from. Jinx shook her head, she wasn't surprised at the tries but the many times the army rejected the poor guy.

"That might not be the right file." Steve said trying to defend himself if something was to go wrong.

"No, it's not the exams I'm interested in. It's the five tries. But you didn't answer my question. Do you want to kill Nazis?"

"Is this a test?" Steve asked looking at Abraham but then at Jinx. She knew she was under his gaze so she looked up and nodded with a smile.

"Yes." Abraham told him.

"I don't wanna kill anyone. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from." Steve said standing up straight like a solider. Dr. Erskine looked at Jinx and she smiled proudly at the young man. "Well, there are already so many big men fighting this war. Maybe what we need now is the little guy, huh?"

"I can offer you a chance. Only a chance." Abraham said after a long pause. Jinx knew he was only being a bit dramatic, she knew that he already made up his mind about Steve but decided to mask his excitement from the small, blonde guy.

"I'll take it."

"Good. So where is the little guy from, actually?"

"Brooklyn." Jinx answered for Steve. Dr. Erskine looked up to Jinx stare at Steve with a certain emotion in her eyes. Abraham smiled slightly and knew this was going to be perfect, he then stamped Steve's form and handed him back his file.

"Congratulations, soldier." Abraham said as he handed Steve the file and walked out the room. Steve opened up the file and saw that he's been stamped as accepted. Jinx rushed over to him and gave him a hug. Steve sighed deeply, to be under her embrace again was something that he desired for a long time.

"I'm so happy for you, Congratulations." Jinx whispered in his ear. They both pulled apart from each other, Jinx grabbed his shirt and gave it to him. Steve quickly put on the piece of fabric, he looked up and stared at Jinx. She was so much different than before, she was an inch or two taller, her hair was now white, and her smile was brighter.

"Jinx..." Steve said breathlessly taking in her beauty.

"Yeah, I know. I look terrible."

"What? No!" Steve said as he stood on his two feet to look up at her. "You're still very beautiful."

"Thanks, Steve." Jinx said blushing slightly. They stood there for a moment enjoying the silent company between them, just then another solider walked in.

"Um, Agent, we need this room." The tall, handsome man told the pair but his eyes laid fondly on Jinx. Steve walked out quickly not making eye contact we the other solider, his insecurity got the best of him.

~1942 Brooklyn, New York~

Steve continued to walk along the street making his way back to his apartment that once use to belong to Jinx.