13.the unexpected death

~1943, Steve and Jinx's room~

Jinx laid her head on Steve's bare chest, her eyes fluttered open and a smile appeared on her face. Last night was memorable for Steve and Jinx; it was the first time they made love. It was the fact Steve didn't tire easily that made her a very happy woman. Jinx slowly untangled herself from Steve and walked over to the bathroom, she saw her reflection and smiled. She felt like a new woman. She then noticed the purple bruising on her tan skin, instead of rolling her eyes at the bruising, she smiled; only because she knew what happened for her to get the bruising.

Steve woke up to him being the only person in bed; he looked over towards the bathroom to see Jinx standing in front of the mirror, her bare body exposed. Steve smiled as he got up from his bed and walked over towards her, he stood behind her as he noticed the purple marks on her shoulder, hips, and lower back.

"Did I do that to you?" Steve asked as he raised an eyebrow, lightly tracing Jinx's skin.

"Well, you did get a bit wild after the second time." Jinx said with a chuckle, she turned around to face her husband. Steve pulled her closely to him; Jinx placed a hand on his bare chest. She wanted more of him and he wanted more of her, but at this point it would have to wait until Steve got back from his mission to find Red Skull.

"I love you so much, Hummingbird. After the war, I want to settle down with you."  Steve told Jinx as he brushed a loose piece of hair behind her ear.

"I love you too, Steve." Jinx said as she pressed a soft against his lips. "I need you to come back to me in one piece. I wish I was coming with you."

"I wish you were coming with us as well, but after your little incident when we took our last mission...we want to make sure you are fully ready. Don't worry, my love, I'll come back to you. I'll always come back to my best girl." Steve whispered against Jinx's lips. Suddenly, the knock that they were dreading to hear so soon happened; Steve looked at Jinx with sad eyes.

"Get ready, Captain. You have a mission to go on." Jinx said with a small smile. Jinx and Steve then got ready together.

~**~

"Promise me...you'll look after each other." Jinx told Steve and Bucky as the men gathered for departure.

"Yes, mother." Bucky said in a sarcastic manner. Jinx pinched his arm as she gave him a hug. "Ow! Steve, your wife just pinched me!"
"Settle down, you two. I'd have to ground you both if you do not behave."

"You should ground me later, Steve." Jinx said with a wink. Steve and Jinx stared at each other. Bucky watched the interaction and smirked.

"Captain, we have a job to do." Bucky said patting Steve's back before getting into the truck. Steve nodded and kissed Jinx once more before leaving.

"Be safe! I love you boys!"

"We love you too, Hummingbird." Steve whispered before the figure of his wife was no longer in his sight.

~**~

Jinx stood there for a moment, she wanted to go after them so badly but didn't think it would be a good idea. Especially the way Steve begged her not to do anything that would cost Jinx her life.

"Jinx, I think I got your suit fixed and ready to go!" Howard shouted at his friend who stood in the same spot, staring into the distance. Howard frowned slightly as he walked over to her.

"Jinx. Are you alright?" Howard asked as he laid a hand on her shoulder. Jinx looked at him and shook her head.

"I have a bad feeling about this one, Howie." Jinx told Stark.

"You shouldn't worry about a thing! They'll be back in a few days, no need to worry."

"I hope you're right." Jinx said with a small, sad smile. Howard placed an arm around her shoulder and led her back to his lab.

~^~^~^~

It's been days since Steve and Bucky went off on their mission. Jinx was bored, lonely, and she missed her boys. Jinx has had horrible headaches that were unexplainable but it had no interference with her powers.  The white haired girl just stayed Howard's lab throughout the days and it drove Howard crazy. He loved Jinx like a little sister but she was now telling him how to do his work. Even though she was right about what he should do most of the time, Howard's pride was too big to even admit the Jinx was right.

As of now, Jinx stared out the window making the weather a bit cloudy and cool. The hours of waiting for her husband and friend made her feel like a small child on Christmas day. Jinx took a break from manipulating the speed of the wind, the howl of the twirling wind annoyed Howard.

Jinx sat in her room, she was reminiscing the times before she joined the army forces. The picture of her and Steve when he was smaller made her smile, it was taken when they went to the amusement park with Bucky and his date. "He's always been handsome." Jinx traced her fingers on the features of Steve's face on the picture. Suddenly, one of the men in uniform burst in her room, Jinx thought it was an intruder at first so she was about to hurt him with her powers but she realized what she was about to do so she calmed down.

"Solider, is there something you need?" Jinx asked him, she noticed that the young man was nervous to even approach her but she brushed it off.

"They're back, Lady America." Jinx eyes went wide as she quickly ran outside.

Jinx stood outside, she tried to remain calm as she spotted her husband come towards her. "Steve!" Jinx ran and hugged him tightly once she was close enough. "I was so worried about you!" Steve didn't look at Jinx and she was confused as to why he didn't. "Steve? Steve, look at me." He did and the grief in his eyes made her heartbreak. Something in Jinx's mind clicked...where was her favorite right hand man?

"Steve? Steve, honey, where's Bucky?" Jinx asked. They way Steve avoided her eye contact answered her question. Jinx shook her head, there was no way Bucky was dead. It's impossible. Jinx then felt sick, she couldn't breathe so she ran off and as fast as she could. Jinx threw up her lunch once she made it to the bathroom, tears kept pouring from her hazel eyes. She couldn't believe it; she would not accept it.

Bucky could not be dead.

After crying her eyes out for hours, Jinx thought it would be best if she would get herself cleaned up and find Steve. Knowing her husband, Jinx knew that he would take the death of his best friend hard.

Steve was in a bar, drinking non-stop. He knew he wouldn't be able to get drunk so he kept the drinks coming. Peggy noticed the depressed soldier in the bar, she thought it wouldn't be professional of her to go talk to him but she did anyway. Steve was a dear friend of hers. Peggy walked over to him; Steve noticed her immediately.

"Dr. Erskine said that the serum wouldn't just affect my muscles, it would effect my cells." Steve told the young woman as he poured himself a drink. "Create a protective system of regeneration and healing. Which means um...I can't get drunk. Did you know that?"
"Jinx can't as well. Your metabolism burns four times faster than the average person. He thought it could be one of the side effects." Peggy told the super soldier. "It wasn't your fault." Peggy said referring to Bucky's death.

"Did you read the reports?"  Steve asked.

"Yes." Peggy said looking from the ground to Steve. Her heart would sink each time she looked at him.

"Then you know that's not true." Steve muttered lowly as he took another sip from his drink.

"You did everything you could. Did you believe in your friend? Did you respect him?" Steve looked at her as if to say yes. "Then stop blaming yourself. Allow Barnes the dignity of his choice. He damn well must have thought you were worth it."

"I'm goin' after Schmidt. I'm not gonna stop till all of Hydra is dead or captured." Steve said with determination.

"You won't be alone." Peggy said as she placed a hand on his shoulder. Peggy and Steve shared a moment. Steve looked at her to thank her for comfort, but Peggy looked at him as if she felt something more than a friendship. The sound of someone clearing his or her throat interrupted the small moment. Steve looked pass Peggy and saw his wife, Jinx, standing there. Peggy then turned around to she Jinx as well; Peggy looked between the couple and cleared her throat. "Um, I stood get going, yeah? You two have a nice evening."  Jinx and Steve watched her leave. Jinx turned to Steve and smirked at him.

"Looks like you two had a nice conversation. I hate to come in and interrupt the tension." Jinx said as she poured herself a drink. Steve stared at his wife and leaned over to kiss her temple softly.

"I'm so sorry, babe." Steve whispered to Jinx.

"It wasn't your fault, Steve." Jinx told him, she leaned over to kiss his lips softly. "I just want to kill the son of bitches responsible. Promise me we'll catch them."

Steve kissed her tan knuckles and nodded, "I promise."

~.~.~.~.~ (A/N)

THE NEXT CHAPTER WILL BE THE LAST CHAPTER FOR THIS BOOK THEN ON TO AVENGERS!! I'm so blessed to have you all as readers. I love you guys. I'm excited for you all to read the next chapter. I have some many things planned. I plan to introduce a new character that I know you all will learn to love.

P.S. I like reviews. So, please, review.