12.the misunderstanding

~1943, Base~

Jinx woke up suddenly in her bed; she looked around her and felt confused; the last she remembered was talking to Bucky with Steve about their marriage.

"So, how did it happen? Who admitted their feelings first?" Bucky said with a smile, looking at his friends who were in love.

"It was mutual, Bucky. I liked Steve and he liked me." Jinx told him with a grin on her face. She looked up at Steve and winked. Steve smiled at her as he wrapped an arm around her shoulders; Jinx leaned into her husbands touch. Bucky watched the interaction between the two, he was happy for them. He remembered when they first met Jinx; the look in Steve's eyes when he saw her...it was love at first sight. After all, it was Steve's idea to help her from those big jerks that were bullying her.

"You're a lucky man, Steve. I told you that you'd find a girl one of these days."

"Yeah, I guess I didn't believe you... but now I do." Steve told his best friend as they continued walking.

Suddenly Jinx felt sick, her heartbeat became irregular and her knees became weak. She tried to tell Steve that she didn't feel well, but she couldn't find the words to express her pain. She felt her body sink into the ground, the last thing she heard was her husband calling out for her.

Jinx got out of bed and looked around her room, she saw a bed next to hers; she imagined that it was Steve's. Jinx walked over to the window and saw that they made it back to base safely; she sighed in relief.

"Humming Bird?" Jinx turned around to Steve standing there with a sad look in his eyes. Jinx smiled and walked over to him, she tried to touch him but her hand went right through him. "Oh, humming bird, what am I going to do?" Jinx followed Steve's eyes, and to see what he was staring at scared him. It was her body lying in a bed, eyes closed.

"What the hell?" Jinx said to herself as she stared down upon herself.

"You are dying." A familiar German accent said. Jinx looked up from her body and turned around.

"Abraham?"

"I would say in the flesh but that would not be true." Abraham said with a smirk. "I am so proud of you and Steve, Jinx."

"Wait. You said I was dying." Jinx said as she looked from her body to Abraham. "How? I thought I was superhuman."

"You are, but it seems as though your body needed that serum after all."

"But...there isn't any left! And I have no clue of the formula you used, there were so many!" Jinx yelled mostly to herself, her voiced cracked at the end of her sentence. Jinx figured that this was going to be the end for her, and she wasn't prepared.

"Dramatic as always I see." Dr. Abraham said as he rolled his eyes. "Jinx, all you need is Steve's blood."

"How come you didn't say that in the beginning?" Jinx asked as she placed a hand on her hip, it was obvious that she was a little annoyed at the deceased man.