14.the life after him

~1943~

Jinx stood in front of her mirror and put her hair in a tight ponytail, she felt as if she didn't know herself anymore. Her eyes, so much pain and anger expressed itself. Losing someone dear to your heart will always be a hard thing to deal with.

~1926~

"You will be something wonderful, baby girl." Manny, Jinx's father, whispered to his daughter as she slept peacefully in her bed; Jinx was a small four year old girl.

"You give her so much hope. I love that about you." Josephine, the mother of the little girl, said as she watched her husband talk with his daughter as she slept. Manny looked up from his daughter to his wife and smiled; he walked over to the blonde woman and kissed her softly. Manny brushed a loose curl behind Josephine's ear and smiled softly.

"You give her hope just by being her mother." Manny told his wife. Josephine smiled at Manny, the love of her life; her eyes went towards her daughter and they filled with sadness. "We need to leave this place, don't we?"

"Your father never let us live in peace."

"This is absurd! It's been years since I left home! I assumed my parents dead. I'm forty-three years old! Why am I still running? I want to go back to our home in Brooklyn and visit our favorite diner. I want to be happy...I want us to be a family." Josephine said as she walked away from her husband. Manny cracked Jinx's door as he followed after his wife.

"Josie, you know why we need to continue to run...think about our daughter. We need to keep her safe."

"What about our unborn child? Do you really want to keep running? I don't want our children to be running their whole life. It wouldn't be fair for them." Josephine said as she picked up the toys that Jinx played with every evening. Manny stood there for a moment, thinking about what his blonde love just said. Truth was that he was tired of running.

"You're right–"

"Please, darling, I don't want to argue..." Josephine stopped what she was doing and turned around. "Wait, you said I was right."

"Yes, you're right." Manny said with a sly smile. Josephine raised an eyebrow.

"I'm shocked that you really admitted I was right." Josephine said with a smirk. Manny smiled softly at her before he took his hand in hers.

"Let's sit outside and enjoy the sound of the crickets. Remember when we did that for the very first time?"

"Yeah, I told you then that I was pregnant Jinxalia."

"Jinx."

"Manny, her name is Jinxalia but of course we'll call her Jinx for short."

Manny walked outside and breathed in the air of nature. The smell of wet grass and mud tickle his senses, her loved living in the middle of nowhere; it's where he felt safe. Josephine stretched his arms around the abdomen of her husband. Manny grinned and turned around to look at the love of his life. Her beautiful eyes told him that she was content with loving him. He was content with loving her as well.

Suddenly the sound of someone whistling loudly and laughter of people crowded their eyes. Josephine looked over her husband shoulders confused, she held on tighter to Manny. Manny felt like something awful was going to happen.

"Josie, listen to me...go get Jinxalia and run. Okay? I'll catch up with you girls soon. Go! Remember, I love you." Manny said. Josephine nodded and kissed her husband, which felt like the last time. Josephine ran inside Jinx's room and picked up the small toddler and held her in her arms. Josephine quickly ran out of the backdoor.