06.the brave little man

~1942 New Jersey, Military Base~

The challenging training activities was without a doubt hard for Steve and he knew it, but something in his heart told to him to carry on so he did. Jinx thought it was painful to watch Steve go through this, he was always behind when it came to running. He looked pitiful when he would exercise, and what hurt her the most was seeing other men pick at him and laugh at his breathing and struggles. There has been multiple times where Jinx would making a thundering sound hover of the mean to stop them from picking on her guy.

It was later that day, the stars were out and it was an hour or so before lights out. Jinx would walk around the base to clear her head, she passed by the recruits cabin to see Steve sitting outside of it with a scrapbook she hasn't seen in a long time.

"Steve?" Jinx asked. It was certain that she startled the small man because he tried to hide the book he had in his hands. Jinx walked over to him and glared. "Is that my parents scrapbook? I left it there for a reason, Steve!"

"I'm sorry. I wanted to surprise you.." Steve said looking from her eyes to the steps where he sat. Jinx eyes soften and she sat beside him.

"Surprise me?"

"Yeah, I uh, I added some pictures to the scrapbook." Steve said giving her the book. Jinx felt guilty when she saw that he tried to wrap it up for her, but her heart really tried to break when she looked at the added pictures. There was a page titled "A New Chapter: Steve & Jinx." It had photos of all the fun times they've had before she went off to the army. In one of the pictures Jink noticed that Steve was staring at her the same way her father stared at her mother.

"Steve, this is-"

"Disrespectful and stupid. I should have left it alone when I found it. I thought you lost it." Steve said sadly. His heart was heavy and he felt that he just lost the best thing he ever had by trying to be romantic.

"No, Steve, I love it. It's really sweet. I thought you were making fun of my parents or something. I'm sorry." Jinx admitted, she felt as though she overreacted a little. "I mean, people here think I'm all Spanish, but what will happen if they were to find out my mother was white. Hell, I'm taking a risk with falling in love with you. You could get hurt."

"I don't care what people thought of your parents. They were beautiful people and they made a beautiful girl. As far as our love...it's no one's business who I fall in love with. Just know that I don't regret my decision with falling in love with you. My heart will never stop beating for you..." Steve laid his palm on her cheek, leaning into her slowly. Jinx then felt her lips softly press against his, the passion between them was undeniable. It was clear. He loved her and she loved him.

~1942 New Jersey, Military Base~

The events that took place last night had Jinx in a very good mood. After the kiss, Steve walked her back to her cabin that she shared with Peggy. Peggy raised an eyebrow at Jinx's attitude, she haven't seen her that happy since she's been here.

Now, Jinx and Peggy waited for the recruits to get back from their lap. Jinx laid in the backseat staring up at the blue sky,

"Hold!" A raspy american voice screamed, Jinx sat up straight to watch the troops catch up with the man. The instructor pointed up to the old flag and announced, "That flag means we are only at the halfway point! First man to bring it to me gets a ride back with Agent Carter and Agent Gomez! MOVE!"

They all went for the flagpole at once, except Steve. He stood back, catching his breath and watched the men fail at retrieving the flag, while the instructor just smiled. Jinx shook her head and rolled her eyes.