Lock and Key

Harry

How could I be so fucking stupid. I was so fucking stupid! I shouldn't have even been surprised honestly, but I was. I had kept such good care of it. I had it with me constantly and now it was gone. I groaned as I hit my suitcase. It crashed to the ground, making a loud bang. Sighing, I sat on my bed and put my head in my hands.

"Harry!" My mom called out. I sighed and looked up at her as she came rushing in. "You're okay? I heard a loud noise." I nodded my head slowly as she came and sat next to me o bathe edge of my bed.

"Everything is fine mum."

"No it's not. What's wrong baby?" I smiled a little as she pushed my curly hair out of my face. I shrugged.

"It's not much." I murmured. She pursed her lips and eyed my suspiciously.

"It can't be "not much" if you were angry enough to throw your suitcase to the ground." I sighed. My mom didn't miss a beat. "Come on, out with it." I sighed.

"I've lost something." I murmured, a bit ashamed.

"Oh well that's easy love. Where'd you last see it? What is it? Perhaps I've.."

"It's Theresa's bracelet. The one she gave me last summer." I interrupted her. Her eyebrows furrowed.

"Oh I see. So it's serious." She said slowly. I nodded. Of course I've told my mum about her and how much Theresa means to me. She loves hearing about her too and I can't wait for them to meet, or for Theresa to meet my sister.

"I can't believe how fuckin stupid I am. I love that bracelet. I never take it off and it's been missing for over week now, going on two and I just barely noticed." I groaned. She touched my shoulder lightly.

"You're not stupid Harry. You've been busy and just because you didn't realize it wasn't missing doesn't mean that you love Theresa any less." I frowned. I knew that but it felt like I did love her a little less. She sighed and smiled softly, like she could read my mind and knew I was disagreeing with her. "She's not going to hate you for loosing it."

"I know mum it was just... It was important to me. It was like a piece of her was always with me." I said. Slowly, turning my left wrist around and around. I missed the feeling of the leather on my skin and the clinking of the small charms. It felt like a part of me was missing. It felt like Theresa was farther away.

"A piece of her always is. You don't need a bracelet to know that."

"Mum.." I murmured, rubbing my temple. I understand all of that already. I just loved having the physical symbol of her. Her first gift to me. And I couldn't believe I lost it after I had finally, fully been with her.

"Where did you see it last?" She asked, trying to prompt me into looking harder. I sighed.

"At the airport when I got on the flight back to London."

"Oh." I nodded.

"It probably slipped off my wrist when I took of my jacket. I was distracted. I must have not noticed. It could have gone into the bucket with my jacket or fallen on to the floor. Somebody else could be wearing it currently." That's what really irked me. The fact that someone else was wearing it without knowing its significance.