Chapter 13: "Must be a newbie."

Justin doesn't fall into his unsafe world for months. Although the Chief has made a few remarks about his crime, I manage to relax him quick enough for him to stay happy.

Spuckler hasn't quit giving us tedious tasks and 'punishments' for anything we do. We complain but end up doing his work anyway. We're still confused as to why he's treating us so badly. We can't put the pieces together.

There are times when both Justin and I urge to make love as he kisses my neck while others are asleep. We know though, that the risk of getting me pregnant is too high and have to stop ourselves before we can't.

We haven't mentioned his crime since I asked him if he'd ever tell me what happened. Although I keep thinking of it and wondering when he'll tell me. Maybe he's forgotten...

"Justin?" I say as we're shut in our cell.

"Yeah, babe?" He smiles at me.

My eyes dart to the ground, as I feel that if our gazes met, I wouldn't be able to say it. I know his innocent smile is going to disappear as soon as I ask my question.

"Um, do you think you could tell me what happened?"

I notice his body tense before he asks, "What do you mean?"

He knows what I mean. Is his question just an escape route out of danger? Is he secretly giving me a chance to turn back?

"About...your crime..." I answer, praying that I'm taking it the right way.

Our eyes meet for a split second but I straight away take an interest in my nails. Unexpectedly, he wraps his arms around my waist and looks dreamily into my eyes.

"You're so beautiful, you know that?"

"Justin, that's not what-"

He pins me down on the bed and breathes against my neck, shivers riveting up my spine at his touch.

"I think I should show you how beautiful you are." His raspy voice practically serenades me. He plants a kiss on my jawline.

He's trying to turn the subject in a different direction. But my curiosity is stronger than my want for his affection.

"Justin...please... I-"

Obviously desperate for me to stop, he blocks out my words with a kiss to the lips. I ignore the aroused feelings I'm getting and push at his chest.

When he looks down at me, sadness swirls in his chocolate orbs, as his eyebrows portray pain. But I need to know.

"There's never going to be the perfect time to tell me. But this is important to me," I whisper, rubbing his arm.

He moves off me and sits cross-legged on the bed. I sit up and take his hands in mine. His mouth opens but closes again.

"Justin, I love you. You can tell me."

Noticing the pain in his eyes, he looks away.

"I...I had a lot to drink one night. And I...I was driving..."

Each word sounds like it struggled to leave his mouth and lingers in the air, wanting to retreat.

"I crashed into a car..."

I rub his hand comfortingly with a fixed stare on him.

"I wasn't hurt, but the people in the other car died."

Tears engulf my eyes and I'm not sure if it's because I finally heard the reason, or because I feel bad for Justin.

Not knowing what to say, I wrap my arms around him, resting my chin on his shoulder as I look into space.