Chapter 15: "I can't have you getting hurt because of me."

Everyone groups outside, in front of the Chief. Back, are the logs and axes. He opens his mouth to start talking but Sebastian gets in first.

"Hey, where's Adrian!?"

The Chief looks startled at the question. "He's, uh-"

My time to shine.

"He would've left after Chief Spuckler paid him his money."

"Bieber!" Spuckler barks, but calms himself down. "No need to make up excuses as to why Adrian kissed your girlfriend."

He's got a snarky grin, seeming pleased with his efforts to anger me. But I'm not falling for his stupid, little mind games.

I stare at him like he's crazy. "Dude, I saw you hand him the money. Two thousand dollars I believe."

There are a few low murmurs amongst everyone as they hear my news.

"You're nothing but a liar, Justin Bieber." He snarls, his veins popping.

"Oh, really? Then where is our lovable Adrian, huh?" I look around the group, pretending to search for him.

"He, uh, he need-"

"Oh, don't even bother. I saw you both in the office. He wasn't in the uniform-"

"Right! Come with me, Bieber!" he shouts, grabbing me by my wrist and dragging me inside.

I'm not afraid of him.

I flop down on the couch, my arm resting on the back of it.

The Chief pinches the bridge of his nose. "What do I have to do to keep you from telling?"

"I have to ask you a question. Why the hell are you spending two grand on some dude to kiss Kat? You want us broken up or something?"

"I'm not discussing my business with you."

"Look..." I smirk, not feeling any hatred for the fool in front of me, only pity. "Everybody already knows the things you do to me and Kat. It won't make a difference if I tell them what I saw. The worst is that they'll think you're a total nut. Which you are."

He scowls at me.

There's a long silence as the Chief stares at the ground, his hands behind his back as he thinks of everything.

"Why don't you like me and Kat?" I ask, hoping to get an answer out of him.

But alas, I don't.

"Why should I?"

"What have we done to make you want to make our lives hell?"

"I have no problem with your girlfriend." He growls, his teeth gritted.

"It's just me?"

He leans in until I can feel his hot breath against me and make out a faint scar beneath his right eye. It fits in with the rest of his profile.

"Yes, Bieber. It's just you. I just have a problem with you."

I lean back, a look of disgust on my face. "Why? You never treated me differently until Kat came."

"I'm not talking about this with you!"

"Fine, whatever," I mumble, growing tired of this conversation.

"Can you at least stop being a bitch to Kat? Since you don't have a problem with her."

"I'm 'a bitch to Kat'..." He quotes my words. "Because I know I'm not only hurting her when I do what I do."